Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank Beginner Here

Default Rank Beginner Here

Hi all,

This is my first post, so I guess it's an introduction of sorts?

Just found the ShopBot forum. It's a really cool forum.

I'm interested in learning about CNC. Perusing the threads I haven't seen a 'Start here' or 'Beginners' forum.

I searched 'program' thinking I might find a place to start learning about programming a computer to run a CNC.

Is there a "beginner's" thread?

Sounds like you all are really experienced, but where did you begin?

The local library has a "Maker" department. It's kind of like a 'learning pod' for patrons to program and run the machines. They're meeting a need in the community. They have 3D printers, laser printer/cutters AND a ShopBot Model DT2418 for use by the general public. They're only cutting wood and plastics (no metal) on the DT2418.

I'd like to program a simple cutout, a square, a circle stuff like that to get the hang of thinking x,y,z. That seems to be the logical thing to start out on.

To use their equipment one has to be 'badged', or approved. They're way behind - almost 2 mos out! I figured I'd get a jump on learning so I can hit the ground running when they 'fit me in'...

What do you recommend?

Thank you,

Ron

Welcome Ron,

In brief, start here and here. Much more to be said, but this will get you started.

Why start with a circle or rectangle when you can just as easily do something simple like a name in a circle/oval or rectangle.
    Scott

Type ShopBot in the search box on youtube. There's all kinds of tutorials there.

Ron…

Do you have design software available to you? It’s a whole lot easier to design in Vectric V-Carve Pro or something like that than to “program” line by line … BUT, if that’s what you want to learn how to do, we’ll be directing you other directions!

SG

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Welcome Ron

That's the Desktop model I have and I'd never CNC'd before either.
    I used the time before it came to download the Demo version of Vectric's VCarvePro which the machine comes with(make sure that they use that and it's available), and watched the first tutorials once,
    BUT worked ALONG with the tutorials the second and third times swapping/stopping screens. THAT was very important! Wish I'd had double monitors!
    TJ's Shopbot tutorials are great! IF you can manage to watch one of his Live online classes, it's even better!
    A lot of them are cut on the Desktop, and it's good to see a start to finish project.

The Desktop has a 24X by18"Y working area, but you'll have to hold down the workpiece...so maybe make you're first file with material size the size of the board you'll have, and then make a design in the center of it leaving a 1" margin on all sides for cutout.

Like Scott said...Why make JUST a simple shape

Without this Forum to help....I'D still be making circles
    VERY helpful folks here, AND on the Vectric forum!

I THINK I already asked all the "dumb" questions on here when I started, but if after a Google search "let's talk shopbot ****search your subject***" and you don't see what you want.
    Feel free to ask us anytime, but most questions are already answered.

Again,
    Welcome Ron
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks for all the replies!

I was just picking something simple: circle and square. Don't want to crash the head! :-o

I'll check out the videos online and the links you all supplied.

Is there a trial version of the Vcarve pro software?

I don't have to 'program' as much as learn how to use the cnc.

If there's an easier method (I'm knew here ;-) I'm all for it!!

The wife works in the education field so if there's an 'ed' discount...

Is there a trial version of the Vcarve pro software?
    Yup. right here.
    Scott

You may want to download the Shopbot control software as well;
    http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport...olsoftware.htm
    as it will get you familiar with the Shopbot control panel(recommend you get used to the "Full"mode).
    It won't be hooked to a machine, BUT it may help you understand the threads and Shopbot tutorials better.
    I found VCarvePro relatively intuitive seeing as I'd never used a CAD/CAM program before(except a "94 Autocad class I took and almost flunked) once I had got the basics from the VCP tutorials.

Wait till you see what you can do!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I too took an autocad 10 class around the same time in 94. I did ok, but it wasn't enough to get a job doing autocad.

That's the extent of my knowledge.

Thanks for the links.

What about Rhino? I've seen that surfing the web.

Default Donek

Ron,

Perhaps make a visit to Donek snowboards up the road a ways, quite a bit of Shopbot equipment up there I believe ...

https://www.donek.com/
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....