Thread: Spindle speed controlled by software

Default Spindle speed controlled by software

Maybe this has been asked before but, can the spindle speeds be controlled with the software (Aspire) on an Desktop Max?

Yes, you set the speed for each toolpath in Aspire and that is sent to the CNC.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I don't believe the 110v spindles can be controlled via software
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Thinking real hard about buying a Desktop Max so I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible before making the big leap. Maybe I should ask Shopbot tech support.

Good idea to talk to Tech or Sales Steve.
    A friend with one of the first Max's had to manually adjust with the VFD like I do with my regular Desktop.
    They MAY have changed since then?
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I contacted tech support via email and this was their response.

Original Question:
    Can the spindle speeds be controlled with the software (Aspire) on an Desktop Max?

Response:
    "No, the spindle speeds on all Desktop models are controlled by a dial on the VFD."
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-01-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Good to know Steve.
    Really not bad even on the regular Desktop reaching around and tweaking for best cut.
    With a toolchanger it would be a deal breaker, but with the Max..if you're facing the machine with 0,0 at lower left, the VFD is facing you so even easier
    I thought I'd be disappointed as I misunderstood the literature, but actually like it for new cuts/materials as I can't see the setting and dial in by sound and feel.
    None of the 3 people I've trained up and now have their own machines had any difficulty at all remembering(unlike their absentminded teacher
    I forget who it was at Tech that told me it would have added too much cost at the time....Maybe ask IF they could do it, and the cost?
    Gary may shoot me down, but I was told it was a cost matter.
    They customized our 3 Desktops,and even added the Spindle Override key and Upper Z Limit switch as a standard feature shortly after they customized ours.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Then I wonder why we set the rpms for our bits when setting uo the tool path?

Mainly for personal reference if/when running the file again later (Desktop/Max models).
    Scott

Aspire embeds the codes in the shopbot cut file, and if you have one of the larger VFD's it will use that to set the speed.

For instance, say you have two bits in your tool file, both the same diameter but run a different speeds. If you generate toolpaths and use both tools, maybe one tool for a pocket and the other for a profile, you will hear the spindle change speeds.