Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Composite Wood?

One shot once had a very good reputation but most sign people will not touch the modern version.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneMpls View Post
    One shot once had a very good reputation but most sign people will not touch the modern version.

That's the first I've heard of that. I've been in the sign business for over 35 years. Granted, I don't have but a couple hanger on customers that prefer paint to vinyl, but I still get one coat coverage and can drag the brush a long way on a load of paint.

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    That's the first I've heard of that. I've been in the sign business for over 35 years. Granted, I don't have but a couple hanger on customers that prefer paint to vinyl, but I still get one coat coverage and can drag the brush a long way on a load of paint.
    Are you saying you only use one coat? I see above that you brush which is my preference. Do you sand finely afterward? Do you put any kind of protecting coat over it at the end?
    Rich Ahrens
    Building Character
    Charlotte, Vermont

They're likely using extira or medex MDF. Extira is actually rated for exterior use. Medex is essentially designed to build cabinets out in areas where moisture is a concern. It's most likely they use Extira. It's likely they use these materials because the sheet cost is way less than HDU or PVC.

There are advantages and disadvantages for every material. Extira happens to be heavy and a fairly nasty product. But it's relatively cheap and when finished properly should last a decent amount of time.

PVC is more expensive. It cuts well and finishes well. It can also take a screw or a stud. The downsides are the interior is "grainy" and not exactly consistent. It also can thermally expand and contract a decent bit.

HDU is even more expensive. It's benefit is it's weight and ability to cut and finish well. Unlike PVC, if you buy good stuff, the structure is tight and consistent. The downsides is the stuff is foam. It has no grain structure which means screwing or bolting into it doesn't work. It requires frame work to keep straight and simply to hang the sign properly.

Again, each of these materials have their place. Each of these materials are used daily by sign makers across the world. You just have to find what you like working with.

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    I am not a painter but frequent several boards [3D sign forum, Signs101 and Letterville]- my understanding is that when they had to remove lead as a component that the product really suffered. The old sign painters on the Letterhead board use paint from 30 years ago if they can get it or they have a few modern paints that work for them. I am reporting what I have heard repeatedly... if I am asked to go before a Senate committee... I will be hard to find.
    Last edited by GeneMpls; 10-11-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Yea, like I was saying I don't use it nearly as often as I used to, so I may not notice the issues they are referring to. I've only used it for lettering & pin striping and it seems to still work o.k.

Quote Originally Posted by richahrens View Post
    Are you saying you only use one coat? I see above that you brush which is my preference. Do you sand finely afterward? Do you put any kind of protecting coat over it at the end?

Yes, brushed, one coat, no protective coat over the lettering.

Thats right, One Shot is as good as ever. With a brush, it covers like a dream. I do use their hardener (4007) which gives an extra sheen and longer life. One Shot is still the Pin Stripers choice used to decorate cycles and hot-rods all across the country.

I'm glad the lead is gone.

Joe

Lets not forget Trupan!
    It's a neat material for interior signs and letters. If you have a scrap or two try putting it a bucket of water for a day or two. Unlike most composite materials is doesn't swell up and fall apart. With a little shellac it becomes weather resistant. I'm not suggesting it for exterior use but what a nice, cheap, friendly product to use.

Attached Images Attached Images

Pro70z28,

Thanks for that reply. I notice the black covers well. For lettering my first signs I have been trying the metallic gold which is pretty nice except it takes two coats to cover. I'm finding even with a steady hand it is easiest to brush in the v carved letters with a small amount of slop and then go back with a fine brush and black paint to neaten up the edges. I'm wondering how many folks actually use gold leaf and whether it's an easier option or more challenging than the One Shot gold.

Rich
    Rich Ahrens
    Building Character
    Charlotte, Vermont