Thread: Composite Wood?

Hybrid View

Default Composite Wood?

I'm starting sign carving as a part of my business. I recently saw a company stating they use a "waterproof wood composite that won't absorb water and will not rot." So I'm wondering other than teak, fir and mahogany what this material might be, where you are buying it and what your experience is with its performance. Am I correct in assuming that it also might dull our cutting bits less slowly?

Thanks.
    Rich Ahrens
    Building Character
    Charlotte, Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by richahrens View Post
    I'm starting sign carving as a part of my business. I recently saw a company stating they use a "waterproof wood composite that won't absorb water and will not rot." So I'm wondering other than teak, fir and mahogany what this material might be, where you are buying it and what your experience is with its performance. Am I correct in assuming that it also might dull our cutting bits less slowly?

Thanks.
    Maybe Color-Core HDPE? Pricey but good stuff.

Take a look at HDU and PVC materials. They can be used for dimensional signs. Both materials carve great and when treated properly will last a very long time.

Rich, based on your description, I would guess you may be looking at something like Miratec.
    https://www.miratectrim.com/miratec-...EALw_wcB#sizes
    From what I see, it's maximum available width is 16 inches.

I once tried some for trim, without CNC machining it. Because it seemed like inherently flimsy material (being shredded fibers and glue), I never tested it out for CNC machining.

Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

http://www.extira.com/

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ghlight=extira

I can’t recommend this product for long term signage… our experience is a couple of years at best!

SG

Interesting. Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of a purist but favor a wood composite by far over PVC if given a choice. I'd expect PVC to be flimsy but there are likely lots of products out there I've never encountered. I see extira is made by Jeld Wen and many of their products are at my local lumber yard. I'll ask if they can get it. With a ten year warranty it must be a decent candidate. I've never heard of HDU. I was hoping there was a simple "go to" as an industry standard!
    Rich Ahrens
    Building Character
    Charlotte, Vermont