Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Composite Wood?

Richard,

My hats off to you for venturing into the sign trade. It's been my life for thirty plus years.

There isn't a gold paint that will reflect like the real thing. One Shot does have a good option is's known as "Brass". Much better than their Gold. Buy it in half pint quanity.

Applying 23K takes some time to learn. For a gold size, I'd suggest One Shot Ivory. It has to dry three or four hours prior to application of gold.

Good luck.

Joe

Attached Images Attached Images

Joe,

Thanks a bunch for the info and for all you post here on the forum. I appreciate the knowledge you so willingly share. Signs have always had an appeal to me. I majored in graphic arts in college and being a New Englander I've always loved wood carved signs. I just ran into a big stash of Butternut and am told it carves nicely. Do you have experience with it?
    Rich Ahrens
    Building Character
    Charlotte, Vermont

Which Corafoam did you use that stood up to the hail?..I see several grades.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GeneMpls View Post
    This is a 4x10 foot sign I made a couple years ago- last year we had a nasty hail storm and you see the damage done- the sign was done using Duma HDU [Corafoam], except for the letter 'C' which was another brand I wanted to use up. The sign was built on an aluminum tube backbone and then a sheet of Composite alum/plastic, the white was 1" PVC. The hail pounded out the windows on the West side [where the sign is] and did 3 million dollars in my homeowners association alone. They are still fixing storm damage here. It is 12' up, too far for an oldphart, so I have not looked really closely but if it was not for the 'C' I would just repaint it.
    Just for reference. Gene

We don't use any HDU. I don't recommend it at any poundage.
    The hail damage on this sign could be easily repaired but the real issue would be a total repaint. At least it isn't made from EPS FOAM.

Thanks Joe you do great work!! I'm learning what I can!
    However I was wondering about Gene's answer. I see his sign and all but the one letter which was made of different grade seemed to hold up fairly well and so wondered what grade he used that held up? I'm assuming a heavier grade? Going to make some signage I hope for my son-in-law's new Doctor practice... IF I CAN!!!! You guys amaze me.
    All I've worked with so far is wood.
    Mark

Joe: I am a piker but I have progressed beyond EPS. What would a professional have used for this sign? Thanks

mdebruce: it was all 15 pound density but different brands are very different. This was a he!! of a hailstorm BTW, I replaced all the windows on that side of the building and my house a couple miles away has been re-sided and re-roofed.