Thread: Spalted Beech Spoons

Default Spalted Beech Spoons

Had some spalted beech scrap the spoon hollow was done on the bot rest by bandsaw, sander and hand. sold immediately at our next show.

I have some maple and birch to mill that I think spalted, be doing that soon.

Been doing more chainsaw carving lately a few pumpkins I burn the wood and wire brush with a drill, I do that on a lot of my cnc signs gives a nice sandblast effect.

Wow, looks fabulous, Brian! I would probably only lop off my hand with the chainsaw and create firewood in the process...

One curiosity question about the spoons: Is it the efficiency of work or the desire to make unique parts to do only the recess with the CNC? Obviously you could cut the entire spoon with a two-sided cut or on an indexer.

GB

*** CAUTION***IMAGINATION AT WORK!!! ***
    Great stuff Brian!!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    Wow, looks fabulous, Brian! I would probably only lop off my hand with the chainsaw and create firewood in the process...

One curiosity question about the spoons: Is it the efficiency of work or the desire to make unique parts to do only the recess with the CNC? Obviously you could cut the entire spoon with a two-sided cut or on an indexer.

GB
    Its making each piece unique, I show at art shows I do not do volume wholesale so I use cnc to take on the basic tasks and go in by hand from there on most of my work. On the art side anyway. And I can work way faster than cnc for organic random shapes.

Thanks Scott, try to make a living and enjoy it if you can right?

Yep Brian!
    There are different types of "Wealthy" lives!
    Just had a customer pick up a set of 35 Bespoke Children's blocks, that was my first paid job that wasn't Dad's company.
    I told them to take them home and play with them, and then send a check for what they thought they were worth.
    As they left and she was giving me a hug, she said "We knew within an hour" and then slipped a $500 check in my pocket
    Satisfaction and making new friends while making money..Don't get much better
    Didn't hurt that their first child (1 yr old tomorrow) took her first two steps EVER on my concrete floor to grab a block from Mama!!!

I wouldn't lop off my Hand Gert, but my knees might never be the same again!
    Love your work Brian!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Beautiful spalted beech spoons.
    The pumpkins are absolutely brilliant!
    Imagine those move very well at the shows too!

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harnett View Post
    Its making each piece unique, I show at art shows I do not do volume wholesale so I use cnc to take on the basic tasks and go in by hand from there on most of my work. On the art side anyway. And I can work way faster than cnc for organic random shapes....
    Yes, I can see that. Recently I had to replace the handle of my bench plane and was wondering about modeling it and cutting on the CNC. But then I just cut it out with the band saw and shaped/rounded it with a Microplane rotary rasp and sander in less time it would have taken me to model in CAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    Yes, I can see that. Recently I had to replace the handle of my bench plane and was wondering about modeling it and cutting on the CNC. But then I just cut it out with the band saw and shaped/rounded it with a Microplane rotary rasp and sander in less time it would have taken me to model in CAD.
    Exactly, I look at the cnc as just another tool in the shop, some will spend hours figuring out how to do a task that can be done by hand in no time.

Having a lot of different, powerful sanders and a bandsaw goes a long way to making things without the CNC... Like clamps, one can never have enough sanders.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool