Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Z axis rebound

Update: Last week I had already ordered two 960 oz in stepper motors. Yesterday I replaced my 600 oz in motors, z and y axis with these new motors. Tested my systems new operating limits, I raised the y axis as high as 300 in per min and my z axis to 100. I ran two programs and had no issues with my z axis rebounding or the y axis overheating. The new motors highest temp during 3 hours of testing was 60C.

You're really missing out on what your machine is capable of by not running some kind of gear/belt reduction to gain mechanical resolution. By replacing the closed loop nature of the Alpha motors with generic 960 Oz steppers, you're going backwards...not to mention killing any resale value. Kudos for the effort of interfacing those motors to the control, but it isn't what you ultimately want in the long run.

Yes...the gearboxes are not cheap. However, they are practically a bolt on affair and will transform a direct drive Alpha into an absolute workhorse with gobs of torque and an unbelievable increase in all aspects of cutting, particularly V-carving and 3D work. Plastic and metal edge quality is excellent on a tight machine. Say goodbye to chatter. With gearboxes, it would rival anything to ever come out of SB...

A word to the wise should suffice...this is one area where you really don't want to skimp. It's the heart of the machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady, I agree 100%. My machine is more of a Frankenstein cnc than a Shopbot. Long ago someone built this huge oversized y axis setup that is unlike anything I have ever seen before. This motor just allows me to use raw power for the issue. X# of ft pounds per degree of rotation. It is so big compared to normal pinion rack and pinion setups. That is my next step, buy a new rack and pinion for the y axis. Buying a motor 60% larger was my first step. Even with its huge size. My testing shows it has the capability of moving at very small steps as low as .001. This is actually the first money I have spent on the machine since purchase. All the vcarve programs I have designed are setup for 100 inch per minute. I am going to maintain that setting until i get the new y axis and gear boxes. Then I will plan to program a few projects at incremental speeds to determine what my new limiting factor will be. More than likely it will end up being what the Porter Cable router can actually cut. As far as resale goes I am not really worried about ever selling it. I will probably gift it to one of my son's or grandchildren. It is only a hobby deal I use once ever other month or more.