Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new linear bearing gantry

Default new linear bearing gantry

Hi I'm looking for pictures for new linear bearing gantry .Thanks

I got this from Brian when I asked...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkegztzjk5..._6874.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fajzs7euhi..._6876.jpg?dl=0

John,
    The upgrade will replace your entire gantry, including the YZ car. Those two links show photos of a 5-axis tool (that's the cleareast example that is currently moving through production). I talked to Ryan Patterson about the upgrade--he's the one who has put the orders together in the past--and since they tend to be so specific to the person's tool, we don't publish a set price on the website. He said he'd be happy to discuss in more detail with you and get you a quote if you wanted to get in touch with him: ryan.p@shopbottools.com
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Links above do not work.

Here's one from FacePlace of the assembly team doing one. Not much to see, but SB hasn't updated their marketing material.

FYI - a new gantry with block & rail is around $5k. Same block/rail size or larger can be had for less than $1k, including the Y and Z...If you don't mind a little work, you can bolt up your own to the original gantry and Z with a little ingenuity and some AL plates you cut yourself on your machine.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    I got this from Brian when I asked...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkegztzjk5..._6874.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fajzs7euhi..._6876.jpg?dl=0

John,
    The upgrade will replace your entire gantry, including the YZ car. Those two links show photos of a 5-axis tool (that's the cleareast example that is currently moving through production). I talked to Ryan Patterson about the upgrade--he's the one who has put the orders together in the past--and since they tend to be so specific to the person's tool, we don't publish a set price on the website. He said he'd be happy to discuss in more detail with you and get you a quote if you wanted to get in touch with him: ryan.p@shopbottools.com
    John, Your links return a 404.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Shopbot wants $5K for that? Wow!!!!
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thank you
    any idea what bearing brand and sizes are used

Looks like it could be an opportunity for someone to buy the old gantries, retrofit them with bearings and sell them at half the price (with exchange) SB is selling them for...

Gary - Maybe you could come up with a kit to retrofit the existing gantry and keep from obsoleting 200 lbs. of extruded aluminum.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    Looks like it could be an opportunity for someone to buy the old gantries, retrofit them with bearings and sell them at half the price (with exchange) SB is selling them for....
    Installing rails on a gantry would be nothing but headaches. You might have a Cinderella view of how it would all work, but the truth is, it's more trouble than it would be worth. Gantries would get lost or damaged in shipment - either to or fro - and few would even want to pony up for the cost of shipping - let alone the cost of parts & labor. I doubt Gary would have more than a resounding 'zero' interest in being involved in any way...and that goes double for me. Neither of us have any problem with you being the gantry retrofit guy. Just think of all the piles of extra cash you'll have - not to mention all the fame!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Prerovsky View Post
    Thank you
    any idea what bearing brand and sizes are used
    Probably THK 20s, although 15s are more than enough from an engineering/running the numbers view. There are plenty of alternatives out there for way less. Educate yourself thoroughly before you buy anything...
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

+1 to what Brady says. Not interested. I would do it like they do and have a complete replacement, that due to lower volume, in all honesty would cost more than the SB product.

Many of the gantry beams that have the pressed in rails may not work as well as the Bosch Rexroth type that was originally used. Plus, when I did my prototype machine back in '13, I took the beam and milled a flat surface as well as an alignment datum on the HAAS. After seeing how much material removal it took to get a flat surface, I vowed to never again put linear rails on aluminum extrusions. Hopefully ShopBot has adopted the same position.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein