Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Cutting

Default Laser Cutting

Which one is better 2D or 3D laser cutting?

Kind of a trick question. There is no "Z" axis /3d control, on a laser machine. You can control the on/off of the laser beam to burn hotter in some places and less in others to simulate 3d engraving with a laser, but true 3d is a term more suited to a CNC machine.

The US built machines are actually quite good at 3D- Chinese glass tube lasers will do it but not as well. This is a sample put out by Kern laser in my home town in Minnesota, they are about 2" each and *very* highly detailed. DSC00925.jpg

Didn't say a laser can't do 3-d work, just that a CNC is better suited in most cases.
    I do laser engraving, however when I need to remove a lot of material, the CNC is the machine I go to 90% of the time. Just depends on the job. If the job requires deep cuts, the CNC is the way to go. A CO2 laser looses it's focus the deeper it goes. The more out of focus, the less power it has. Again, I'm talking in generalities. Both will do 3d, just a matter of which is more practical for a given job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep... the right tool for the job. A mech engraver would be hard pressed to engrave the text on the canopy or the ivy leaves on the building. I love lasers, what do you have? I also had a '70 Z-28, is yours an early or late version? Gene

Mine is a 100W BossLaser Running RDworks software and PhotoGrav to convert photos. Lasers are great, but I had to defer to the CNC for this job..

My Camaro is sort of a hybrid '70. A work in progress that's gone dormant lately. Too many projects, too little time.

Very nice [signs and car]. I took a class from Dan Sawatzki and a couple others a couple years ago, very interesting and learned a lot but I am 72 and just sold my signshop this year so I can make stuff for me for a change. I finally have the tools and skills to do what I please.

Hey Gene:
    Were you in Indiana at the 3d class?

Thanks Gene. I'm 65 so I'm starting to lean towards getting personal projects done too. I've got stuff around here that's been on the list for too long.