Thread: Upper Z limit switch how-to?

Default Upper Z limit switch how-to?

Never needed one before my Alpha machine- is there a step by step for this or... I could try to make contact with my remaining brain cells and figure it out. Thanks Gene

I have done searches BTW

Gene...Won't be exactly the same as Desktop Z retrofit, but Maybe give you a little info?
    Oh well...even compressed the installation file .pdf was too big
    My e-mail is in my profile,and I could send you the installation instructions of the Z Prox?
    Probably best to call Frank at Sales, and get the Prox and correct length wires for your machine with the instructions?
    Wasn't very expensive to add 3 additional prox's on both our Desktops when we bought them.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I did it to my PRS. I just drilled and tapped a hole for a new prox switch. You can get a drill/tap combo that works really well. Just locate it in a place that you can put a bolt that'll slide by when the Z axis goes up. Just look at your X and Y prox switches to see how that works.

I believe the prox switches are an M8 thread. You can buy the switches from SB, or if you're clever you can find them online from some aftermarket places.

I have prox switches and can figure out the mounting without any problem- just wondering if there is a how-to for the wiring and setup. Seems like it would be a common thing with Alpha machines as it is easy to hit the top of the travel and then the machine gets cranky. Thanks Gene

Set it up on input #5 and set it as NC (if it is the same kind of prox switch as your others). Wire it up like the others for ground and power and the input line to input #5. Position the target just a little before the hard stop so you don't loose height when limits are on.

You'll then need to go to Tools/Setup and put a check in "I have a Z prox" to add it to the config. I you are running SB 3.8.X, the z zeroing routine will then save the offset for use when homing and other things.
    Scott

Sorry for asking what may be obvious, but what functions do you need a prox sensor on the Z carriage for ?

I have it setup so that when I rapid it moves the Z all the way to the top no matter what tool I have so that I don't hit any clamps

Thanks Scott and all. I never felt an upper limit necessary either but with an Alpha it loses it's bearings and needs resetting to recover. Gene

Sorry for asking what may be obvious, but what functions do you need a prox sensor on the Z carriage for ?
    In reality, a prox on the Z will do as much if not more that they do on the X & Y. I put one on my PRS in '08 and wouldn't have a machine without one.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Thank you, gentlemen. Gene