Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiator covers??

Default Radiator covers??

Has anyone made any radiator covers for anything like this? If so what material did you use? What it is, is copper tubing with fins on it for radiant heat.
    What was over it previously was metal covers that wold take me a year to refurbish taking paint off of and they look like ****. To replace them is way too expensive at about $100 for a 4 ft section and i have hundreds of feet needed. Any suggestions about metal replacements at a reasonable cost, or what material to make something to cover it with would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack,,,,,,,,,,,, in looking at the pictures, I can't figure out what I am looking at...……….. better pictures, or diagrams would be helpful. Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

I think I'm looking at a hot water base board radiator, is that right? And you want to replace the covers? If so, they aren't all $100 per 4 ft, you can get them for 1/2 or 1/4 as much depending on size and style:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/NeatHeat...EAT4/203537675
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Slant-Fi...BoCh94QAvD_BwE
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Slant-Fi...RoCntgQAvD_BwE
    They might be cheaper at local plumbing supply companies as well and/or if you buy them in bulk.

But to answer your direct question: I did make some panels for a cabinet around a large radiator, there are here http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...adiator-Grille

But that would take soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much sanding and painting for hundreds of feet that that it would be faster to refurbish what you have. I wouldn't strip them, I would clean them, sand the really bad parts and repaint them. I used white high temperature spray paint from Home Depot on some pipes and a radiator and it looks nice. Not perfect, but no one but me would notice.

Although not using bot required designs I ran a shop in Seattle years ago that made them as part of their offering. We used standard sheet goods, such as MDF and/or quality cabinet grade plywood edge or solid wood banded. Just make sure you leave enough space between the covers and the radiator to avoid warpage and coat (paint) all surfaces, including the inside. Denser mdf, rather than light is better.

Dave,
    My thinking was along those lines. Actually what i thought was to get some thin metal, like flashing material, bend it like a upside down L to radiate the heat out the front which would be covered by a stamped metal covering with a mdf box around it. Basically think of a 5"x5" box made of mdf with a metal reflective inside. The picture is a side view. The radiant heat is simply a 3/4" copper pipe with fins on it that runs along the floor. Actually i could make the top with the stamped metal also to let the heat rise, possibly not having to use the reflective L shaped material inside?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Your idea could work, but likely the inner reflector, which could act as a heat sink, increasing the temp in the space between it and the mdf more than it would otherwise.
    I would leave that part out.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Your idea could work, but likely the inner reflector, which could act as a heat sink, increasing the temp in the space between it and the mdf more than it would otherwise.
    I would leave that part out.
    Thanks....you saved me some time and money...
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

The more i think about it the more it makes sense for the top to be open and have the stamped metal there also so that the heat can rise.
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

If you have the room, there's an advantage to building the enclosure taller if possible. With a vent at the top and inlet at the bottom, it will act like a flu. More height = more fresh air draw past the radiating fins.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I actually had not thought of that...thanks
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------