Thread: sbp to aspire files

Default sbp to aspire files

about 3 months ago my hard drive went belly up and i lost some aspire files. i still have the sbp files on my control computer. is there a way to create an aspire file out of the sbp files.

Rick…

In the SB3 control program there is an option under file--> conversions… to convert the “.spb” file to other formats, DXF being one of them. You can then import that file. There are, however, several caveats!

1.) the imported vectors are the centerline of the tool. It may have been offset the tool radii inside, outside or not at all (if cutting on the line).

2.) Z height changes, like in step down toolpaths, are converted as spiral vectors that can be difficult to suss out!

3.) I have been unsuccessful in converting V-carve toolpaths… I get an “undefined variable” error.

My experience is that it’s easier to recreate a file than rescue it! Recently I was asked to make another Christmas stocking holder for a family who found themselves with another family member… I found the old toolpaths but couldn’t find my designs. I was able to use this method to re create the original profiles and that was all I really needed!

SG

it was mostly the components that i was after. it is an in depth file with lots of detail. i will give it a quick try and if it does not work then back to square one. thanks

Yeah, if it was a 3d model job, you're better off starting from scratch /memory. Other methods are really only good for 2d stuff. You could maybe get a cloud point kind of file, but getting a usable file would be tough going.

Is this for one of the shield/badge designs like you've done before? If you just need to have it for a name that was v-carved in later, you could run the background and use that to get the shape /size/coordinates to place something else. Just thinking about it with what I know you make.
    Scott

yeah i figured out pretty quick that i was not going to like the 3-d and not real wild about the v carving. and yes it was dea plaque that i made

Is it a situation where you could use the base 3D part and just apply different v-carving to it (text)? As if it was the same as before, but a different name.
    Scott

almost everyone of the plaques that i do requires that the lettering be edited. to do that i need to be able to see the plaque. oh well back to the drawing board. thanks for the input

What I'm getting at, is if it's just the lettering, you can run the plaque and then use the dimensions off the plaque to recreate just the area where the text would need to be placed. Determine the appropriate xy datum and set the machine up accordingly. Run a scratch test first to be sure you got it located right. This assumes that the area is flat and does not require the toolpath to be projected onto the 3d shape.
    Scott

i tend to cut the same files over and over, with only the wording being changed. that said i am so anal i tweak the files almost every time looking for ways to make it better. plus each time the size of the file may change depending on the wood on hand. after looking at a picture of my file, what seemed to be a tough file to make originally should be not that hard the second time around. Scott you seasoned advise is always welcomed due to your knowledge and my lack of.

What i was able to do was download a preview image of the artwork from a prior email. Imported that image, sized it and sort of traced it. New artwork is done now. I guess that i was just being lazy in trying to recover it. Thanks for the input.