Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Edge light sign

Default Christmas Edge light sign

This sign was done it part with a Shop Bot. The clear acrylic and translucent blue/red acrylic was cut with the laser, digital prints in the "O"s. Ivy along the bottom was printed on clear vinyl.
    The base was done on the shopBot using a file from the ShopBot library. Bottom layer is oak with Mission Oak stain. The top layer is red cedar with no stain. An unlikely species combination I suppose, that came about by sorting through the wood shelf and finding 2 pieces the size needed for the job. Both have been on the shelf for 20+ years, so it's time they found a home. LED strip light to light it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice! !

Wow!
    Cool to see how many techniques can be combined for a unique end result like this. Well done!

jeff

Superb workanship!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Thanks for the comments Bruce, Jeff & Bob.

Pro- I was just making a 36x54 brushed ACM sign with cuttout clear acrylic letters which looks really nice and was really easy. I had a sample roll of pvc free film and laminate and printed and applied to .22 acrylic with clear double stick tape on the back. I cut a styrene template for easy placement. This Oracal film only comes in 54" x50 yard rolls [for $800ish] and of course you would nest the logos and lettering- a lot of waste. I think that going forward I would spray a clear polyurethane or similar top coat before taking the pieces out of the acrylic block.
    Anyway- are you aware of a pvc-free film other than wrap films, which it appears they have to use in the EuroUnion now? Thanks Gene

I'm not aware of a PVC free vinyl film, but I haven't done much research in that area, since I haven't had a need.
    I cut the acrylic with a laser, so in my case putting a final film on before cutting would burn the edges. I do put transfer tape on clear acrylic and wood sometimes when I do a though cut with the laser so the substrate doesn't get scorched by the hot smoke.

pro70z28 - I take it you are a Camaro buff. 1970 Z28?
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Yes, I have a 70 Z28 that's collecting dust these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

70 Z28, split bumper , right? I've driven one of those..had a bad little 350 and was a blast! Real looker.