Thread: 3HP Columbo Spindle wire problem

Default 3HP Columbo Spindle wire problem

I was in the middle of a cut file. When everything stopped. I traced the trouble to the inside of the controlled box for the Colombo spindle. One of the two control wires coming from the main shopbot control box was loose from the connecting block in the spindle control box. One of the wires was connected to the FWD terminal, and I do not know where the other wire goes. It appeared to be going to M12, M13 or M14 but I do not know which one. I looked through my documentation and cannot seem to find any information on where this wire went.

Frank,
    The 2 wires connect to the FWD & DCM lugs in the VFD box. From there they go down to FWD & DCM in the control box. Inside the VFD, there are a number of wires that also connect to the DCM terminal. Take care when reconnecting them, and be sure to add strain relief to the DCM/FWD wires that come out of the VFD.

Don't feel like you are alone...I've seen this happen quite a few times when there is no strain relief added...and I have knocked a few of them out myself.

You can download the doccumentation for it here

-B

Thanks, Brady

I just got off the phone with Frank at Shopbot and I'm up and running again. It was a bit more to it. The wire from the contol box came off along with one of the wires in the VFD. They both belonged on M14. It appears to be possible it could go on either M14 or DCM which is where the other wire in the VFD is connected. These are the thermistor wires I believe. There was strain rlief but I believe the screw was loose since ther was no indication the wire was pulled.

At any rate I'm up and running again

Gotcha...I think the thermistor wires are either 5&6 or 7&8 if I am not mistaken...Glad you got it running.

-B