Thread: ShopBot for cutting boat kits and other jobs

Default ShopBot for cutting boat kits and other jobs

Hi all,
    I am seriously considering a ShopBot. I am a little concerned that the repeatability is only 0.002". I know that sounds crazy, but there is a particular scarf joint that I have trademarked in my kits that requires the tolerance in the x-y to be spot on. I draw in .005-.006 of a gap between two nesting dovetail joints (not a through scarf, but hidden) and it has to be right. Seems like all the CNC routers out there are reporting 0.001" repeatability or positional accuracy. I realize there are a lot of variables involved with actually achieving that precision and accuracy.

Thoughts?

You're going to hear a lot of different views from a lot of people here, and likely just about anywhere else you ask. My advice is to see if you can get someone to cutout your design on an actual machine and see how it comes out.

You'll want to find someone with a machine in good working order, and someone who's got a lot of experience working on it. Luckily there's a lot of those type of people here. Ask around and you'll likely find someone local to you who'd be willing to help out.

>> 0.001" repeatability

A change in humidity would render that kind of accuracy moot in wood.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Good point. I've actually found the joint to be quite good even when humidity is up.
    But right, also the spoilboard condition and another dozen variables would come into play.
    Eric, good suggestion...the trick is finding someone I can visit. Where are you in MA?

The Shopbot was originally made to cut boats so I would say yes it will do the job.