Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting ShopBot Blog Post (12/07/18)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    John...
    Is this a recurring issue or a one off anomaly? If recurring, do you have a video or a set of actions to recreate? This does not seem to be something other than rare and has my curiosity up. There has been some oddities in the keypad operation since the modifications were made for the desktop, but yours is a new one.
    Gary - Since I was moving the X in only .01" increments, and must have been hitting the keypad just right (maybe 1/2-1/3 second increments) so it got into a harmonic vibration with the natural frequency of the entire machine, I would say it would be recurring and could reproduce it. It kind of surprised me. That means the machine itself was flexing enough to nearly knock the tool off the zero block.

It was just a curiosity and I've never seen that type of vibration during an operation.

Here's a picture of my indexer setup.

IMG_20180429_130813.jpg
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I certainly see one problem here ... not a darn bit of debris anywhere! No chips, no dust no nada.

Bill, I agree it doesn't look right without a few chips laying around.

Let me post a belated Thanks to Gary C. for his continued assistance and support. His post latest post, https://youtu.be/33gLcfC59pA under scores the potential with this equipment. He's a gold mine in experience.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Bill, I agree it doesn't look right without a few chips laying around.

Let me post a belated Thanks to Gary C. for his continued assistance and support. His post latest post, https://youtu.be/33gLcfC59pA under scores the potential with this equipment. He's a gold mine in experience.
    That's me in the video Joe But I do agree, Gary knows his stuff.

There are no chips or dust because I clean up my shop before I start a job and after I complete one. I am fastidious about it. My machines, all of them, look brand new. Anyone looking in my tool boxes would swear they are right out of the packages and never been used. My father taught me that when I was 5. Clean tools are happy tools. Make fun of my shop all you want though. You can walk barefooted with your eyes closed and never so much as pick up a grain of dust or a chip of material.

My garage is the same way. It's so clean you can eat off the floor.

IMG_20181111_191527.jpg
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

That's impressive. I certainly don't have that kind of discipline!

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    There are no chips or dust because I clean up my shop before I start a job and after I complete one. I am fastidious about it. My machines, all of them, look brand new. Anyone looking in my tool boxes would swear they are right out of the packages and never been used. My father taught me that when I was 5. Clean tools are happy tools. Make fun of my shop all you want though. You can walk barefooted with your eyes closed and never so much as pick up a grain of dust or a chip of material.

My garage is the same way. It's so clean you can eat off the floor.

IMG_20181111_191527.jpg
    Magic John! All you need for perfection is a couple of Teslas and a nice Powerwall blinking away!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Dito the "impressive". I too try to be as meticulous but have not achieved your level of perfection.

I'm not sure it's a matter of discipline or a matter of having the time available to do such a thorough cleaning. As soon as I finish a project, I start a new one (many times while I'm still working on the previous project). I'm currently booked out 6 months. I tune up my machines (change blades, etc.) when I get a chance but the machines pretty much look like they reside in a production woodshop without a dedicated cleaning crew. I try to do a blow down once a year on a windy day in the summer to get most of the dust out.

I used to keep my shop spotless when woodworking was a hobby. But now, if I'm cleaning, I'm not completing customers' projects and I don't get paid. At the point, the lights get turned off..... My garage has a gravel floor so I'm not to worried about keeping it clean. LOL....
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

>> I'm not sure it's a matter of discipline or a matter of having the time available to do such a thorough cleaning.

I'm sure that's the case. One thing about continuous cleaning. It takes very little time to keep things clean if you're always doing it. Leaving things for a once a year cleanup would certainly take the fun out of it. The tolerable level of contamination in a shop environment is a personal preference more than anything.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool