Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wave Panel

Hybrid View

Island Furniture Ltd., Vaucluse Factory St. Thomas

Default Wave Panel

Looking for some help on a contoured African mahogany panels that the architect wants to look like stylized waves. The panels are 5/8" thick. Panels will be glued over a 3/4 marine ply panel in the door. See elevation and rendering below it to see what he wants.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    I have a picture of the effect he wants and a drawing but it is too big to post.

Have you check the Vectric site they have tutorials on how to make textured panels

Obviously wave objects have many variables, like size, resolution, wavelength, amplitude, plain or circular etc...

I have a tool to generate a variety of waves as .stl file (alternatively direct gcode) like these:
    Wave1.jpg
    Wave2.jpg
    DSC02077.JPG

Even weird ones that don't exist in nature:
    Wave3.jpg

Let me know if that would help you. You can mail me at "info AT tailmaker.net", maybe with an image of what is needed.

GB

Gert is always a tremendous help...I'd take him up on help!
    BUT, you might also like to at least be aware of Paul Rowntree's "Standing Wave " program also?
    Have NOT used it myself, but Do use his "Topo" fairly often.
    http://paulrowntree.weebly.com/standingwave.html
    scott

Make sure and post pics when you can please
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Here is the picture and drawing.

Attached Images Attached Images

10-4 on that! He says a concept works and now would like specific labor to produce a custom part for him.
    This is far beyond using a cabinet program to produce a rendering elevation or panorama with basic entries.
    You send him the rendering. Guess what? He then says that's "almost it but can you...…?" or worse.
    I spent my woodworking career by scribbling a design on a notepad and getting a deposit before I went down the road of presentable layouts or renderings.
    Didn't do bad. Only got shafted a couple times and that was when I did go against this or a couple other basic common sense business rules.

On this topic I'm in full agreement with Dave.

I enjoy working with architects but of all my customers there expectations can quickly get out of hand. In their defense they often don't know the degree of difficulty their orders entail. I watch my architects more closely than other clients. But the work is good as long as you don't let them work you in a corner.

The rendering panel is a lot thicker proportionately in appearance then 5/8".
    Done in 5/8 much of the dramatic effect will be lost. Another issue you may run into is warping of the panel as it cuts from stress relief in the grain.
    I would mount it to the substrate and backscrew the heck out of the 3/4" to cut any kind of a laid up African Mahogany panel.
    The wave pattern in the rendering is fairly easy in Aspire with some vectors and an extruded cross section. It wiould take a long time to cut as well.
    The wave pattern shown in the elevation is more realistic to execute and can also be done easily with the vectors, a big cove bit, and simply cutting between the vectors with it.
    Again, due to the shallow depth of the board, the vectors need to be fairly close. End result will be much more ripples than waves.
    Doing waves from vectors that way, instead of using a 3D strategy, cuts a whole lot faster.

Agree that the 5/8" thick panel is a bit thin for the contours shown in the rendering but the door thickness mandates 5/8" panels. The panels will be epoxied onto the substrate and pressed for curing when completed. Substrate is 3/4 marine ply, balance of door is Sapele which is a bit more stable than African mahogany. We did a sample part panel on some scrap Upvc signboard done with vectors as you suggested - not what the architect wanted unfortunately. Length of time to cut will not be a problem - the cut file is...

EDP,
    Here is a panel I designed several years ago and I still sell it today. Don’t know if it’s what your looking for, but the depth of cut is less than 1/4”.

Thanks,
    Mark
    FCC9734A-863F-464B-8C62-E4F9BEE5AE30.jpg5BD25D64-80C3-4906-8DEA-9C445E6A65D9.jpg