Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complete Shutdown

I'm wondering if the control box is sending something back to the PC telling the control software to shut down? Seems, with all the troubleshooting you've done, that is the only thing I can think of. See if ShopBot tech support can help to determine if the control box could do this.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

x2 what Don said. Call shopbot.
    Meanwhile, congratulations, you've eliminated the PC from the list of culprits.

Another note: I have a laptop that now shuts off completely out of the blue. Finally realized what's going on - I was giving it a static shock, which kills it instantaneously. Now have a raw ground wire hanging on the side so this doesn't happen during this dry time of the year. Pretty disgusting to be faced with such a stupid problem on a $1,200 laptop, but it is what it is.

Naturally, I can't help but think of this as it relates to your problem. Due to number of machines you mentioned, I have to believe you've consistently grounded them all, but take a close look at the grounding to be sure nothing's going on there or has been inadvertently altered.

Please, do keep us all posted. Of all the bizzarr-o stuff that can happen, I've not heard of your exact issue in the several years I've participated in this forum.

Good luck,

Jeff

Again did you reload the firmware

I really appreciate all the feedback. Thank you.

Grounding looks to be the next step. I haven't had this issue in the past so I figured it was grounded properly all these years, but maybe I need to take a closer look. I see that grounding the frame to the 120v is the proper way. Is there an optimal point on the frame to ground from? Close to the cutter? Motors?

We have reloaded the software and firmware many times, but I will give it another go. Doesn't hurt anything.

Another potential I saw on Shopbot's website is "Check if the excess motor cables are looped up inside the control box.". They aren't but I do have excess motor cable looped under the table. Is this a concern for proper communication?

One more place to check that I haven't seen anyone state is to swap out the cables. I have a heck of a time getting good cables here locally. Most of the time it is related to USB issues but there are lots of cables to run one of these machines. I wish you well, intermittent issues are the absolute worst! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Do a UT in the command line, and read carefully....then give us the "Packet ET" time...give us a better idea of comm speed?

USB cable next to a major power spindle cable...COULD do it(Lucky it's virtually impossible on Desktop

DID have problems my first week as every cable was anally coiled and nested Perfectly
    Messed it up and separated and was back in business.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I have swapped out the usb cable. Should I try any other cables?

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne Jenkins View Post
    I have swapped out the usb cable. Should I try any other cables?
    After it "crashes" check the windows event viewer to see if it's logging any errors?

Packet ET is between 15 and 19.

I do not see any error logs in the event viewer.

So comm is OK. Good....But the "Intermittents" are the worse to diagnose!
    Had an HDMI that was "Jiggly" on the monitor and tried 3 different cords...now elastic banded and duct taped...2 years no shutdown(fingers crossed).
    Keep a log of what you've tried and done for Support.
    Sorry I can't help
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine