Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some small Christmas orders

Default Some small Christmas orders

Made this salt server with spoon the wood is some spalted beech I have had since I milled it ten years ago

And some beer taps sapele wood, sugar maple inserts

NOT going to find that salt set in WallyMart
    Never been lucky enough to get some spalted Beech for my Stash.
    Beautiful use of it!!
    Was Spoon cut by hand after recesses made? Or versa-visa with Shopbot normal cutting/sanding like your other custom spoons?
    What finish did you decide on?
    Gorgeous!!! And would buy if if Dr hadn't made me throw salt shaker away

Question on Sapele....Got a possible commission for a large topo (full Desktop cutting area) of a 5X5 mile area of a very good friend's(He worked at my bicycle shop for two years in the '80's) winter camp at highest possible res.
    He's a woodturner;
    https://www.hansonwoodturning.com/largework.html

And has offered 3 species in 16/4 resawed to specs,and Sapele was one of the woods he has in 18"+ width.
    I'd be cutting with a .25'shank TBN with a .25-.5mm Radius 3"LOA bit for Max res with SRTM1 data......How does Sapele hold detail and finish?

NICE maple touch on the tap handles!
    Happy Holidays Brian!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott, I have had good experience with Sapele holding detail it cuts very smoothly finishes well with all types of finishes, the beer taps were a rubdown of boiled linseed with a few topcoats of Varathane water base floor poly spayed on.

The spoon part was cut before shaping as was the salt well, that piece of beech was a log I picked up on the side of the road and milled over ten years ago I have some bits of it laying around that I use for special projects.

Thanks Brian

Good story on the Beech!
    People need to keep their eyes open.
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

This was a last minute project for my step daughter coat and shoe rack for her apartment.

The wood is cherry from a local bandsaw mill, I air and kiln dried about 500 bf of it this year.

Came out beautiful Brian!
    Gravy that it came out of personal wood
    LOVE that you didn't stain it "Antique Cherry" or such!!

I flat out refused Dad when he asked me to stain our Cherry buttons for production and immediate sale.
    So we kept them special order and asked for a 2 month wait time(so we could keep flipping them in my big South window),
    OR spent a lot of time explaining "what they got...was NOT like what it would be later) and why.
    Plain and Fancy kitchen cabinets, musta called me 6 times to say"Are you SURE you want them unstained?!!)

Ex went nuts when they arrived....."I TOLD you...I WANTED CHERRY cabinets!!!!" I said "Wait a while"
    They look BEAUTIFUL now 22 years later!!

One lucky Lady!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

I never stain cherry, I had to on a church furniture job after a futile discussion with the architect that the chairs would match in a year. Now I have to make a rack for our house.

I have several pieces in our house that were originally designed for a client and when my wife saw them insisted we have them too!

If you mix a tablespoon of lye (red devil lye from the grocery store,or whatever) with a quart of water you can produce the same reaction on cherry in a few hours. The water raises the grain, so light sanding before finishing saves time. Exactly matches the color of decades of sun exposure. I’ve used it for furniture, several houses of trim, and small projects for years. Nothing beats the natural look of cherry.