Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Good?

Default How Good?

Hello Everyone,

I am a retired person from the Aerospace industry, now teaching at a university. I am interested in purchasing a USA made machine. I am looking at the Desktop Max with the high speed spindle and vac system. I am also currently evaluating a Cam Master as well with the same items. I know this is a Shop Bot forum but, I would like to get an honest opinion of how well the Shop Bot is built and is there anything I have to be worried about on long running jobs. I do work in 3D as a hobby, not a business situation.

I just need some help on which to purchase.

Any help would be appreciated.

I wish shopbot offered a 24x48 moving gantry machine. They have one with a moving table, but I don't care for that when dealing with vac hold down. I have had 3 shopbots and now run a 9648 machine with the win cnc controller like the other one you mention. The win cnc is a more robust controller and has never failed me. The shopbot community is hard to beat as far as any help needed. Search for comm error on the shopbot site and it will scare you. There are positives and negatives both ways really. Great people on both forums. I would give shopbot an edge when talking customer support. Either machine will do fine for hobby work and either is easy to sell used.
    Kenneth

Thanks so much for your advice. I do need to make a decision, as both have year end discounts. I have listed my current Axiom Elite 8 on Craigslist. It is sold in the U.S. but, it is a Chinese machine. I just want a machine built in the U.S.

I am not familiar with either model you are looking at but I have been very happy with my shopbot and customer service is great.

There are many good things about both brands. There are issues with both brands. Before you spend your money do some searches on both, or other, forums for issues.

Here's a place to start reading and form your own opinion. Good luck.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...r-Modification
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

Desktop and Max are pretty much identical on accuracy and detail, as the components are close to identical.
    Support has been Fantastic for me personally...and then all the Forum help I got was Great getting started!
    This is work with an old Desktop with only a single Y ballscrew.
    You mentioned 3D...click on pic twice and zoom
    Accuracy and repeatability are excellent!
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I have a full size PRS shopbot and a Cam Master stinger. The shopbot is my preference by far, but that may be largely due to having used it much more and longer (have had 3 shopbots) than the stinger. I do think Shopbot support is FAR superior.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Wow, thanks everyone one! I really needed to get some opinions. The more videos I watch about the ShopBot, the more impressed I am. I wanted to hear the good things about support as that is the issue so far with a Chinese machine.

I also wanted to know how sturdy the ShopBot is.

Thanks again.

>> I also wanted to know how sturdy the ShopBot is.

Sturdy is in the eye of the beholder.

If you expect to cut 1/4" plate aluminum at full depth, 360 IPM, then forget it. The cutter will wallow like a garbage scow. If you expect to cut 3/4" maple at full depth, maximum speed, you're going to be severely disappointed at the cut quality. If this is your use case, then you should look at a much more robust machine.

If you have patience and are willing to work within the limitations of the machine's architecture, then you will be pleased with the results. Shopbot support is quite good and often available after hours and even on weekends. They will work with you patiently and with knowledge to solve whatever problem you have.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Desktop Max is one piece welded like mine....pretty darn rugged....Not Cast, but still Very solid!
    Wouldn't get my repeatability if it wasn't!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine