Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BURL advice needed

Getting to the last 2 biggest White Oak burls now....handsawed the buggy one after baking at 160F for 6 hours to Kill everything!
    NOT liking wood boring bugs!!
    That'll teach me not to pick burls on a cold December night with a flashlight in a HURRY!!
    On first cut I had to set VC AND VCP to Safe-Z's of .005" or it hit Z-prox....And first cut with low stepover on the 1.25" Whiteside was STILL .4" thick!

Wound up with a 2 and 4" thick slice when finished. May still cut some more after exploring the bug cavities...was hoping for a shallow bowl shapes for mineral specimen display.
    Maybe not..OR Maybe a good chance to carve stones to fill holes? Who knows yet

White Oak burls will never be my favorite burl....but it kinda grows on you

Funny....Close to the bark when you start surfacing....it looks like what you think of when you think "Burl"....the closer to the pith...less so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

You have all the fun.

NOW David
    The year and a half prototyping dozens of Dad's ideas and learning was ok, the the 18 months of production with people showing up 5 days a week and saying "Let's GO Scott", and only playing maybe a half day a week STUNK
    SO much happier playing/learning and doing whatever, when the urge hits me!
    Never knew burl shrinks as it dries so much more than the pith of the tree. REALLY interesting tactile ridges and shapes when cut wet, and letting it do it's thing.
    Trying to make something useful with bug holes is straining my brain! With Aspire it would be so much easier creating shapes!

Had 2 medium Maple branches fall this past Winter....maybe get 3 small crotch pieces and some more Critter wood out of them
    Out cutting them today.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine