Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slipping bit

Thanks. Mr Burkhardt. Unfortunately they don't have an ER20. A shame. Reasonable price.

Yes, thanks to all for your thoughts and comments. Very helpful. Will report back once I have had a chance to use replacement parts.
    Desktop, 1HP spindle, Z-upgrade
    Aspire 8.0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Australian software developer and trainer - Delphi, C#
    Mobile development

Sorry, not wanting to overpersuade you ;-)
    But they do have the smaller ones as "Type A" with 30mm hex and in stock. That E20 is actually the one I have. Somehow I thought E25 was mentioned earlier in this thread. I find the crescent wrench (spanner) for the hex nut anyway easier to use than the C-wrench.
    https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...Bearing-Type-A

Not at all. Happy to be persuaded I searched the site for ER20, but failed to find that one - only found collets. Bookmarked for next time!
    Desktop, 1HP spindle, Z-upgrade
    Aspire 8.0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Australian software developer and trainer - Delphi, C#
    Mobile development

Found it Graeme for my next time...JUST got a new one from Frank at Sales. So may be awhile.
    Thanks for posting Gert!!! Could NOT remember it!
    https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...Bearing-Type-A
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Recently I was having all kinds of problems with my buddy. I use precise collets and who knows how many hours on them, but i assure you that it was much more than 100 hrs. I called precise and they assured me that it was not the collets and as usual they were always a great source of info. I recently had a shopbot tech at my house to re-tune my buddy. I am a big guy and when he saw me tighten my collets he corrected me and said to add much more torque. So dont be afraid of tightening them.

I've had my PRSAlpha for 10 years now. I cut over a thousand sheets of plywood per year plus several hundred sheets of 1/2" MDF. In addition, I do a lot of solid wood parts production. I have replaced the collet nuts once on my machine. I've replaced the collets twice. I tried another source of collets one time and I had oth 1/4" and 1/2" bits slip. I went back to my original collets until I found another source.

I know there is a standard belief that collets and collet nuts need to be replaced regularly. I've found that if I keep my collets clean and brush any sawdust out of the collet nuts during bit changes, they will last a LONG time.

On a standard cabinet project, I will cut 30-40 sheets of plywood. I use eCabinets/SBLink, so I cut all joinery, drill all shelf pin/hardware holes, create all pockets and cut out all parts using 3 to 4 different bits. A 1/4" downcut spiral, a 3/16" downcut spiral, a 1/4" boring bit and a 1/4" compression bit. Most 3/4" plywood is Armorcore and drawer box parts are 5/8" Apppleply. 1/2" plywood is normal plywood and 1/4" plywood is MDF core.

I push my machine pretty hard cutting at 5-6IPS with 15IPS jogs. All plywood is cut with a climb cut first, leaving a 1/32" skin, then a final conventional cut. So 3/4" plywood is cut almost all the way thru on 1 pass. These cutting methods put a lot of strain on collets, bits and collet nuts. But, as I said before, keeping them clean when changing bits has proven to be a way to get a lot of life out of them.

Just wanted to input how one guy uses/abuses his ShopBot.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.