Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.2 kv spindle

Default 2.2 kv spindle

Thinking about converting to a spindle and I see a lot of them rated at 2.2kv. The question is can a spindle with that rating run my 2 inch surfacing cutter.

I have such a spindle and use a 2" cutter for surfacing. I usually have plywood scraps as disposable spoilboards which need more power than for an MDF spoilboard.
    Works well but there are limitations that may be annoying for larger surfaces.
    - given the heavy bit head I can run max 10k-12k rpm and at that speed the actual output of that spindle is way less than 2.2 kW.
    - the cut should be ramped in, especially if the bit is bottom cutting with full diameter or the VFD may fault due to momentary overload. A bit with indexable inserts should be less susceptible to that.
    - at 0.03" cutting depth (95% stepover) I can usually cut at 100 ipm. At 0.015" I can go up to 180 ipm

thanks for the answer that is just what I wanted to hear. I do have a 2" inserted cutter so that should work well.
    I have tried plywood as a spoil board but found it warped a lot.

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelodunk View Post
    ......I have tried plywood as a spoil board but found it warped a lot......
    Yes, it would not be suitable for a normal spoilboard. But my mid-size machine has an extrusion t-slot table and the "spoilboard" (usually not much larger than the work piece) is held down with vacuum onto this table. The work piece in turn is held down also with vacuum, clamps, screws or raptor nails onto this spoilboard. That is why I use plywood or solid wood scrap boards that must be surfaced for 3d or v-carve jobs. For pure 2d-cuts I don't bother surfacing and just cut a little deeper.

I've got the 2.2 spindle. I've used it for 10 years now. I surface my spoilboard plus flatten hardwood and softwood slabs with my 2" surfacing bit all the time. No problems. For my spoilboard, I run 14K RPM at 9IPS. For woods like hickory I use 14K RPM at 4IPS. The most I take off in a pass is 1/64" (.0156). Never had a problem with spoilboard or solid wood.

For most 3D work on solid wood, I use a 1" thick piece of MDO with T-tracks. The wood is mounted to the MDO and the MDO is held to the table with vacuum. I've made several sets of chair parts using this method as well as all 3D and 2D carving on blanks 40"x 88" and less.

For plywood cutting I use a 1/8" thick piece of sacrificial MDF (skinned both sides) on top of the spoilboard. All held down by the vacuum system. All thru cuts hit the sacrificial board and not the spoilboard. I surface my spoilboard before each plywood run to make sure everything is level and in parallel.

For flattening, anything 19" or less in width goes thru the planer and double drum sander. Everything bigger goes on the CNC.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

Mike

with the 4hp hsd I can take 1/8" off on wood surfacing with a 2.5" bit at 6ips

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    with the 4hp hsd I can take 1/8" off on wood surfacing with a 2.5" bit at 6ips
    When I upgrade my spindle from a 2.2, I'm looking forward to this capability!
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    When I upgrade my spindle from a 2.2, I'm looking forward to this capability!
    even at that I don't think I am pushing things. I think the shopbot will run out of power before the spindle does.

What I worry about is running the bot so hard that the gantry tips over. Then life gets interesting at that point.....
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com