Thread: PC 75182 Replacement

Default PC 75182 Replacement

I have used the PC 75182 for many years, but I am tired of rebuilding them. Do any of you still using routers have good results from possibly better choices? Thanks for your help.
    MikeK
    ShopBot BenchTop with 4G upgrade
    Vacuum Table with Fein Vac
    Aspire 4.5

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I used a Milwaukee 3.5 HP for a while on my machine but did not like the collets. I have the big PC on a manual router table and I like it better than the Milwaukee.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Step up to a spindle. Nice price for a square body one. At that price, if they don't last, you can replace them just the same as a PC router and have more torque throughout the rpm range and quieter to boot. ER20 collet. VFD needed.
    Scott

I replaced my PC with a 3kw (4hp) Chinese spindle a few years ago and have been extremely happy. The spindle was about $300 off of eBay and I purchased an Hitachi vfd for another about $300. The shielded cable ran about $3.50/foot so the total cost came to just shy of $1000. I am hoping to purchase a new spindle this year to keep as a spare although I have had no problems with the current spindle. Unbelievably better than a router.

>> Unbelievably better than a router.

Also a lot quieter...
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Those who claim any router is anywhere near as good as spindle either has never run a spindle or refuses to face facts.
    That's not to say you can't do fine work with a router, just that the spindle is a different animal, much like a small 4 in comparison to a V-8.
    Any change will require at least a change of mount as well and possibly (depending on your z) a change of springs.
    Upgrading to a small HSD or the import as noted previously is well worth the difference from messing with routers.
    The increased torque AND severely reduced runout at the collet is a very big improvement.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I should have mentioned when I did change the router on my Shop Bot I replaced it with a Columbo 3 HP spindle it was a big upgrade. If it were me I would either put in an HSD spindle or try one of the cheap China made spindles I did not care too much for the Columbo spindle because it had a terrible knuckle busting collet wrench and they did not recommend drilling with it HSD can be used to drill.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC