Thread: Interesting day in the shop

Default Interesting day in the shop

Yesterday while repairing a tool one of my neighbors starts firing a rifle. Next thing I know a bullet goes through the wall right over my workbench. Ran out of the shop and yelled but they did not hear and kept shooting called the cops. They found the persons 2 20 year olds with a .308 with no backstop. The houses behind me are uphill. The level of stupidity is astounding.

If I had been running equipment I may not of even known it happened.

That is crazy. 20 years old used to be considered an adult.

I've had birdshot rain down on my steel roof, and then roll down the greenhouse glass.
    The Dufus was a lawyer who got bird fixation, and when opened back door to yell at him..he was only 80' away!

150 acres of land across from me was never posted, until owner got a 30-30 into his upstairs bedroom 4 years ago...Posted NOW!
    Some people just defy description when it comes to firearms!

Called cops once when a group of 4 hunters were on my posted land, and had let off about 8 rounds VERY close....Game Wardens were JUST down the street investigating a poached deer carcass....
    Trucks showed up FAST....one Warden talked to me about where shots came from, other Warden threw on hunters vest, AND pulled a 10 gauge and pumped a round into chamber to track them...
    He was NOT taking any chances once he found first empty "Nip" bottle in first 10 feet off the road!!!

Only people I allow to hunt on my land are Bowhunters and Blackpowder hunters that ASK....THEY are more careful and respectful usually.
    STILL remember my as* Whuppin at 9 years old with .22 Remington single shot when shot without a backstop...Gramp was STERN!!!!

LUCKY Brian!!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Unfortunately owning a firearm does not require brains. I am in NY supposedly a state with restrictive gun laws all you need is ID and no felonies and you can buy just about any long gun you like. We do need to apply for a permit for handguns.

Common sense is not common - Voltaire (at least what I am given to understand he wrote in French).

Wow that’s amazing!! Here you can’t buy a handgun unless in a gun club or security organisation. And long arms only by farmers and hunters but only after going through a rigorous background check and a knowledge test on dangers and use of such weapons. I pretty sure semi and fully automatic rifles are banned.
    Hell my normal day job is as a pilot cop and I’m not allowed to take my handgun home with me off duty.....if I did I’d be sacked the next day!!!!
    Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Wow that’s amazing!! Here you can’t buy a handgun unless in a gun club or security organisation. And long arms only by farmers and hunters but only after going through a rigorous background check and a knowledge test on dangers and use of such weapons. I pretty sure semi and fully automatic rifles are banned.
    Hell my normal day job is as a pilot cop and I’m not allowed to take my handgun home with me off duty.....if I did I’d be sacked the next day!!!!
    Cheers
    Semi auto rifles are in any gun shop or wal mart here. The rifle used was a bolt action .308. No training is needed to buy one, we had more gun control when I was in the army, if you had a personal weapon on base it had to be in the arms room. I am a firearm owner have no problem with responsible gun owners but with our culture of its our right to have a firearm there are a lot of ignorant owners out there.

The state police investigator was livid they had no backstop, the excuse of hitting the building was its brown and green and they did not see it there are some trees between us but I can see the house and they have to drive past it to go to town. On top of all this the ones responsible have not even come by to apologize. I was rattled the day it happened now I am a bit angry thinking about just a week ago my wife and daughter were in that area cutting firewood and brush.

Several laws were broken they did not have enough setback from houses to legally shoot so the state may take the rifle, not that its hard to get another one, these neighbors have only been there for a month so far great start.

So after looking all over for where the bullet went after going through the wall and sanding disk hanging on the bench I discovered the bullet fragmented, it hit the bottom of the wall frame the main part skimmed a strip of wood over the then my bench 2x4 blasting out of the top of that.