Thread: What is the right - best bit ?????

Hybrid View

This is a terrific thread. Great info. I recently attended the Cabinet Class at ShopBot for the Cabinet Parts Pro software. I had been using 1/4" bits for all my cabinet work. I am semi- retired and have had my ShopBot for a couple of years and am just a hobbyist, but enjoy building cabinets for myself and friends. In the class, Ryan was using a 3/8" mortise compression from Onsrud (60-123 MW) to cut cabinet parts from 3/4" MDF in a single pass on the PRS Alpha. I am now using the Onsrud 60-120 MW (single flute for my PRS Standard) and I cut a single pass on 3/4" Maple plywood. Using the chip load calculator and listening to the bit work, I am running 288 IPM @ 15,000 RPM. I get a great cut that I can take straight to the edge bander. I can cut a full sheet of panels with dadoes and rabbets in under 40 minutes. So far I have cut over 6 sheets using these settings with no degradation in the edge quality. The bit is slightly warm to the touch when it is done with a sheet.

I hope you don't mind a hobby user jumping in, but the cabinet class was very enlightening ... Thanks
    Last edited by Rtalexand; 01-24-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: text correction
    ShopBot PRS Standard 48x96
    HSD 2.2hp Spindle; Vacuum Table

Amana Tool® Item #46171

Just ordered 2 of the above compression bits.
    We shall try these out, compare the cuts, maybe throw some pictures up as proof.

But will probably stick to my standard 60 ipm.
    Last edited by woodshop; 01-24-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    Our most important shop tool is the pencil sharpener!