Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fein Turbo 2 for Table Vac Hold Down

Default Fein Turbo 2 for Table Vac Hold Down

Hi Guys, haven't posted for awhile. I have been using the home-built black box with two Lighthouse motors. Vacuum has been pretty good on my 4 by 8 Alpha PRS router, but the noise level is deafening. Also, the Lighthouse motors are only good for 500 to 1000 hours. I replaced both motors after about 2 years. Due to the life expectancy and the high level of noise, I have been considering using two Fein Turbo 2 shop vacs. However, I noticed that all of the newer Fein vacs have 1 1/4 hose connections. I wonder if I am going to get enough CFM to hold down. Right now I have a 4 inch PVC connection to the black box which steps down to 2 inch PVC for the four zones on my table. Seeking advise on whether I will get equal or better vacuum using two Turbo 2 vacs instead of two Lighthouse motors.

I'm running my 4x8 with 2 Feins. Bought my system used 5 years ago which included 2 of them using 2" plumbing. No idea how old they are. One Fein died about 2 years ago but other one is still going. Replaced dead one with another Fein. Intended to buy LightHouse replacement motor for dead one but haven't yet.

for some reason I could not muffle the lighthouse motors. I get the 220v amtek motors they can be muffled better. not quiet but only around 86 decibels. what I want to do is get a 220v whole house vac. the motors won't last any longer but they are around 65 decibels. they may last longer as I be they stray cooler. they will cost more to buy but then your have a very quiet enclosure. I can get one or two brush replacements out of them the brushes are about 10.00 for each motor.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

like so cost a lot at first but would save a lot of noise. and them motors may last a bit longer as they may keep cooler. https://evacuumstore.com/p-816-elect...oaAk4yEALw_wcB

Thanks for the replies. Jim, do your Turbo 2s have 11/4 hose size and do the two hoses go into a manifold that converts to 2 inch pipe that attaches to the table? Could you attach a photo of the connection?

Knight, I looked at both of the vacs that you linked. There were no specs on the Amtek motors on Amazon. I will research further. The Central Vac motor is also interesting. From what I read on the forum, I need high vac lift (99 inches of water) and high CFM. The Feins seem to meet that criteria, but it takes at least two at $350 each.

https://www.centralvacuumonline.com/...xoCGREQAvD_BwE
    the fiends are fine but they are 110v and not quite as powerful. I have t=used these above for several years. I want the central vac setup to save on noise and get them out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kenkelsey View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Jim, do your Turbo 2s have 11/4 hose size and do the two hoses go into a manifold that converts to 2 inch pipe that attaches to the table? Could you attach a photo of the connection?
    No 1 1/4" used anywhere. He's glued a short piece of 2" into the Fein that fits into the PVC connection.
    Vacuum Plumbing 2.jpg Vaccum Plumbing.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I learned that the Fein connection at the canister is a "proprietary" twist connection. I was wondering how to avoid going to 1 1/4 inch and then back to 2 inch PVC. Your pictures tell the story. Thanks again. It looks like the connection to the Fein is permanent (glue). Do you ever need to service the Fein? I used 4 inch PVC out of my black box which steps down to a 2 in pvc coming out of the manifold. I will need to come up with a way to come out of the two Fein ports and connect to my 4 inch PVC. Pics attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kenkelsey View Post
    I learned that the Fein connection at the canister is a "proprietary" twist connection.
    It is.
    I was wondering how to avoid going to 1 1/4 inch and then back to 2 inch PVC. Your pictures tell the story. Thanks again.
    You wouldn't want to do that. Going larger to smaller to larger will reek havoc with air flow/turbulence, etc. Like putting a garden hose between to fire hoses [/QUOTE]
    It looks like the connection to the Fein is permanent (glue).
    yes
    Do you ever need to service the Fein?
    When the one died I pulled it out and opened it up expecting lots of junk since I had run it several years and never checked it. Totally empty.
    I used 4 inch PVC out of my black box which steps down to a 2 in pvc coming out of the manifold. I will need to come up with a way to come out of the two Fein ports and connect to my 4 inch PVC.
    PVC connectors should work. I would think a 'cone' reducer going from 4 to 2 would be better than the typical 4" to 2" step type. Not sure they make a 'cone' though. From my physics background just makes sense to me a cone/funnel would work best.
    Good luck. PS I was born/raised in Western PA - Johnstown. Been gone a VERY long time

I was the original owner of Jim's Shopbot. I permanently glued the PVC pipe because the original hoses were getting hot and collapsing. The other thing I have seen done was to cut the top off of the canister and glue it onto a custom built box with whatever size port you need. There may be pictures buried deep in these archives. Good Luck. Rodney.