Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopbot Controller

Default Shopbot Controller

Guys,

Before I contact Shopbot on Monday (10000 miles away )I'm hoping someone here has had this issue and can help.

Turned on PRS Buddy 48 and shopbot control software spits the dummy and says can't connect to Shopbot controller. Pick another port.....mmmm Been fine for years

Checked Device Manager and Shopbot is allocated to Port 5 and is also present in the USB devices......Changed the USB cable from Controller to PC and same.

Cant find any issue PC side.....has my Shopbot controller gone U/S?

CheersDeviceMgr.jpgShopbotError.JPGUSB-View.jpg
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

"Spits the dummy"

What on earth does that mean?

Ahhhhh now I see -- that must be an Aussie expletive!

Inside of your control box will be a small daughter board that is connected to the main board. The USB cable plugs in to it. An LED will be flashing when communication is taking place. Start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Guys,

Before I contact Shopbot on Monday (10000 miles away )I'm hoping someone here has had this issue and can help.

Turned on PRS Buddy 48 and shopbot control software spits the dummy and says can't connect to Shopbot controller. Pick another port.....mmmm Been fine for years

Checked Device Manager and Shopbot is allocated to Port 5 and is also present in the USB devices......Changed the USB cable from Controller to PC and same.

Cant find any issue PC side.....has my Shopbot controller gone U/S?

Cheers
    I had a similar issue recently.
    When I powered up, my motors would clunk and lock properly, but no comm with the computer. My problem turned out to be a dead power supply in my control box (my control box has two power supplies, a 48v to run the stepper motors, and a 12v to run the board. The 12v had died.)

Yeah I have had the same problem. Easy to check with voltmeter.

Does your controller have one of the USB to serial adapters (little pig tail kind of thing)? Those go bad as well now and then.
    Scott

Thanks guys......I’ll check the power supplies.....looks something has failed so will be contacting SB
    The controller does have a small board piggy backed onto the main control board.....I’ll check if there is blinking light.

BTW......”spit the Dummy”.......you know when a baby spits out their sucking dummy thingo.....because they are contrary or unhappy!!!��

Jut had a look and the LEDs on the main board and the piggy back board that the USB lead is connected to are on.....not blinking though.
    The fuses are good. I don’t have a 12v supply that I can see though......I have 63v, 24v and 5vdc.
    So I think this will need expert SB support.
    Cheers
    D5BE94FA-DAA5-4113-9777-EE64036D504F.jpg
    1DB802C1-63B0-418F-ADEB-558F5EED95DA.jpg
    26220B08-1CF3-4534-885A-1E894E07484C.jpg

I've had this happen several times. I'm convinced it is a problem when SB3 software closes down, it corrupts its initialization files.

Thru the process of turning everything off, unplugging all the CNC related USB cables, turn everything back on, plug in CNC USB cables, it tends to fix itself. At least this has been my experience of 10 years of dealing with the ever so unreliable USB communication link Shopbot insists on using.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Default USB hub

At one time Shopbot was giving out little guys that look like the pix attached. What it was all about was that the USB 2.0 standard was what the input board needed to see. By putting this hub into the computer and then plugging your Shopbot input into it the computer would be "Forced" into USB 2.0 mode. If you have one of these that is what it is for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tlempicke View Post
    At one time Shopbot was giving out little guys that look like the pix attached. What it was all about was that the USB 2.0 standard was what the input board needed to see. By putting this hub into the computer and then plugging your Shopbot input into it the computer would be "Forced" into USB 2.0 mode. If you have one of these that is what it is for.
    I've removed all hubs from my setup. I use a USB extension cables from the VFD and controller directly to USB ports on my computer. I do have a powered hub connected to my computer but it is for things like keyboard, mouse, barcode scanner, etc. Like in my previous post, my system still has occasional brain farts so I shut everything down, unplug the USB cables, turn everything back on and plug in the USB cables. Seems to work for my setup.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.