Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed.....

Default Advice needed.....

I need advice from you cabinet and countertop guys (like Bleeth and others). This may not be a shopbot solution (i'm 700 miles away from mine so that won't help anyway) but here is my dilema. In the pics you'll see my walls are almost perfectly square but when i glued the countertops together
    I have about a 1" gap at the corner.
    is there any kind of solution i can do to hide the gap? Some kind of backsplash or something tapered that doesn't look cheesy?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

So, your counter top was built out-of-square?
    Anything you do, will look terrible with that amount of gap. I would cut the counter top, and square it. If you don't have enough material to get it cut to square it, you may need to start over.
    I always make a hardboard template, that matches all the surfaces that will contact. Then make careful cuts, and check everything for fitment, before gluing it up.

The 6" in the corner might be pretty square, but your walls might be bulging out a couple feet out from the corner. Usually, you can scribe the contour of the wall to the top of the backsplash and take a belt sander to the backsplash to match the contour of the wall. Looks like your wall is out quite a bit though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAOGNi49UA
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

With that much out of square, limited options. What your trying to do is fool your eyes to give it the illusion of it being straight. You can scribe it, but you may not have enough material on top of the counter top to do it all. You can cut into the sheetrock so you don't have to scribe the counter top. The best option may be to roll it into the corner, so you'll have a even gap on both sides of the corner. Put in some chinking/ caulking backer and caulk it. Have the caulk roll a bit ,use your finger. Paint the caulk to match the wall color. If you scribe it, your going to highlight how far the wall is out. If you caulk and paint your going to see a nice straight edge on the back splash and the caulk will disappear. Remember your trying to fool the eye.

The thing is, that end of the countertop is only about 2 ft long, to be that far out?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    The thing is, that end of the countertop is only about 2 ft long, to be that far out?
    How does the front overhang look?
    I'd say scribe and sand... but you're liable to take so much off that it messes up the overhang. If you can get it fairly close, you can caulk it.
    Is the sheetrock new or old? I ask because I rebuilt a house not too long ago, and had a similar issue when I went to set the counters, turned out my sheetrock guys had not cutout one of the electrical boxes and the sheetrock was bowed out.

You could always cap it with some quarter round.
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

Default Shelves ?

Perhaps build a corner shelf.. or a few shelves that wrap around the corner and hide the mistake ?
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I may have the solution. I can buy a 2" wide strip of the laminate material, taper a piece of wood to fill the void, glue the laminate to the wood, scribe it to the wall. because it's a "butcher block" pattern i think the 2 straight edges meeting will hide it ok. We'll see!
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Maybe I'm being a bit simplistic but wouldn't just moving that bit of drywall out a bit be an easy solution? Cut the offending chunk out with a razor knife, put some shims in the wall, screw the chunk back in and plaster it up. You'd have to do some drywall work but that's at least easy and manageable.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool