Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Can't figure out how to make a even smooth miter fold cut in thick materiel!

Default Help! Can't figure out how to make a even smooth miter fold cut in thick materiel!

I'm making a waterfall table with 2" maple. I can't figure out how to make a miter fold tool path using:

https://www.toolstoday.com/v-8762-rc-1028.html

How do you make a tool path that will maintain the 91 degree slope all the way down both sides with 2" thick material? I want to leave about 1/16" at the bottom of the cut. Does someone have a simple method that I'm not thinking of?

Honestly, not trying to be a wise @ss, just saying,
    Any time I want a miter fold, including 2 projects this week, I cut parts on the shopbot, then march over to the table saw, do some test cuts, and miter there. Just a lot of money for the bit, frightfully exacting to make a miter fold bit work - one shot to get it right. Just because it can be done with the CNC doesn't always mean the rest of the shop equipment should be abandoned.
    Since you've likely bought the bit, I realize you're determined to use it - hopefully someone else can interject from experience with said bit.
    I researched it one time, found info on Woodweb I believe, and concluded the table saw was what I was more comfortable with, based on all the hand-wringing and trepidation involved.

Jeff

What's the problem? Is your depth of cut inconsistent?

I use this bit daily, just not with 2" thick materiel. I don't have a table saw that I would trust to make this cut. Only a small Dewalt. My alternative is clamps, guide board and a hand held. CNC is much better if I can figure it out.

Depth of cut is consistent. Problem you can't just go straight down. You will end up with a 90 degree at the top. Needs to cut wider then the bit in steps

If you have Aspire I think that you can model the cut and then do a 3d finishing pass with the specified bit and Aspire should calculate the offset.

Draw a rectangle across the board layout that represents the width of the top or open width of the miter and use a v-carve toolpath. It will cut the needed width to get down to the bottom of the miter. Might take a little trial and error to get it right. Use a flat depth to stop it from going through..
    Scott

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...19tSkdQd252Z00

From a past Austin Camp ShopBot…
    SG

What isn’t clear in this document…
    You’ll need to define a 91° bit in V-Carve…
    Last edited by steve_g; 03-02-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Thank you, Steve. I just may take a second look at buying a bit and trying this method. Excellent article on this methodology!

Jeff

Good find Steve, that's what I was attempting to explain.
    Scott