Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exterior sign advice.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Default Exterior sign advice.

I am trying to design and make a new sign for my church. Signs are not something I usually make. Cost is a factor we have a small church and funds are tight. The existing sign is broken but has a very nice brick base to work with.

Can an exterior sign be made from insulation foam and sealed effectively?

The sign will be about 68" x 47" overall. I will post some pictures of the existing sign and the current design that I made with my Pastor.

I tried to post the image of the simulation that showed texture but the file was too large and it would not let me upload it.

Thanks Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Michael,

"I am trying to design and make a new sign for my church"

Wondering if this is Christian. The design doesn't look very spiritual. No matter what material you end up with, it's the design that rules.

There's a world of decorative scrolls and designs that can be incorporated in the background. They are often used to support for a beautiful font. Your design needs a little Soul.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

I'd take a look here for some information on sign foam:

http://www.signfoam.com/technical.html

That should get you headed in the right direction.

If you're having trouble posting images take a screen shot of Aspire and post that.

Default Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Michael,

Wondering if this is Christian. The design doesn't look very spiritual. No matter what material you end up with, it's the design that rules.

There's a world of decorative scrolls and designs that can be incorporated in the background. They are often used to support for a beautiful font. Your design needs a little Soul.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

Joe I totally agree, He could spruce it up spiritualy. Just a fyi

Big Box insulation foam is NOT a viable choice. Too soft, too porous. Even if you could manage to get a decent finish on it, you'll just be replacing it a lot. Plus all the insulation foam available at the Big Boxes in my area is prescored for breaking it apart.

Sign Foam or HDU is a decent choice, but you'll have to get it from a sign supply, and it isn't cheap. It does carve and finish well, but it is also susceptible to damage in high winds or hail.

Home Depots in my area sell 1/2" pvc sheets (like Sintra or Komatex) which would work. it's not as dense as what you can get from a sign supply, but it carves well and finishes well. There's a lot of info out there on the webs on how to finish it. I wouldn't ask for advice on how to finish it here since you mentioned the "d" or "v" word.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Michael,

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

Hi Joe,
    I feel the same way my Pastor likes it but to me it looks very amateurish I am not very artistic.

6:8 is a Christian church the 6:8 is from Micah 6:8 "He has shown you O Man what is good to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with your God".

I was hoping you would see this and give me some advice to make a better sign. I don't like the font in the circle with 6:8 but it is the logo for the church. I did have some texture in the background but the bitmap image was too large to upload on here. I don't plan to go into sign making but I would like this to look as good as possible.

Thanks Mike
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Why not repair the old sign?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    Why not repair the old sign?
    It is in bad shape and hand painted over the old church sign (Whipple Creek Church). It is made from 1/4 plastic of some type and painted it has a large corner broken and was designed to be lighted from inside but we have lost power to the sign and the electric service runs under the church parking lot. The plan is to light the new sign with some solar LED flood lights. The brick base is in good shape and looks nice.
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Here is the image the software created. I have the latest version of Aspire. I have not added any color to anything but the font so it would stand out. I plan to carve the sign and let one of the other members paint it. This is not a paying job it is just me helping out the church. I normally machine mechanical type parts from plastic & aluminum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

I was hoping to make something like this http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ht=carved+sign

What material is this made from? My artistic ability leaves me a little short I know what I like once I see it but actually designing it is something else.
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC