Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exterior sign advice.

That looks to me like Duna Corafoam to me, used to be hard to find and others and I went together to buy a couple thousand dollars worth to enable shipping [from Texas I think] but it is lovely to work with and at that time was way better than the HDU foams on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    There are times when symbolism will show the way. It's ever so easy to design for the Greek Orthodox with Byzentine historical images. But the youngsters feel more comfortable with current images. All of this proceeds turning on the router.
    I do agree that, even if the intent is to look more contemporary so as to try and attract the younger crowd, you could and should find some ways to include more traditional symbols in the design.
    There's a number of Churches in my area that cater to the younger crowds, they have rock shows, electronic extravaganzas, a lot of man buns in the audience, coffee shops, etc... One or two of them have logos and signage that don't make it readily evident of what they do, or why they do it.
    Here's some examples of more "modern" looks:
    http://sojournwoodstock.com/
    https://jubileechurch.com/
    https://www.hishandschurch.com/
    https://piedmontchurch.tv/
    https://www.livinghopega.com/
    http://northstarchurch.org/

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Thank you so much for the feedback I just had a conversation with David about some of the things brought up in this thread. He was asking if I knew of any examples of church signs we could look at. We are also talking about construction materials. He wanted to know if we could layer MDO for some of the elements then using PVC for the areas to carve and if there were any examples of signs made this way. I was wondering how the edges of the MDO are sealed.

Thanks Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Rob,

Thank you very much for the time and effort to gather and post all those fine examples. I know what it takes. Your posts show some excellent and thoughtful concepts. All professionally done.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

I would not use MDO in this way. Signs made today using MDO typically use only MDO as a flat base to be painted and/or built up with another material like PVC overlaid and bordered within a frame to prevent moisture from getting in the edges. Not saying it can't be done. It is just not best practice. Although it is an exterior grade product the edges are difficult to seal cosmetically and functionally. PVC however does not absorb water and that is why it is a preferred material for exterior use when carving or building up overlay layers and being much more impact resistant than the usual density used of sign foam (15-20LB). The only real caveat for PVC is too avoid painting it black.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    I would not use MDO in this way. Signs made today using MDO typically use only MDO as a flat base to be painted and/or built up with another material like PVC overlaid and bordered within a frame to prevent moisture from getting in the edges. Not saying it can't be done. It is just not best practice. Although it is an exterior grade product the edges are difficult to seal cosmetically and functionally. PVC however does not absorb water and that is why it is a preferred material for exterior use when carving or building up overlay layers and being much more impact resistant than the usual density used of sign foam (15-20LB). The only real caveat for PVC is too avoid painting it black.
    Taking it back to one of Joe's original points.... I would suggest you design the sign, then select your materials. Not design the sign around your material selections.

Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    Taking it back to one of Joe's original points.... I would suggest you design the sign, then select your materials. Not design the sign around your material selections.
    The design of the sign will not change a lot from the original I posted but the elements and what the sign says may change it is still going to be a multi layered sign and choosing the proper construction material is important. The construction is on my plate I am also designing the sign with the input of Pastor David I plan to try and spruce it up with the advice gained here.
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Perhaps you'll attempt to give your sign a "churchey" look. What you have now looks like an entrance to a Bowling Alley. A third grade attempt. Layering won't add much without the spiritual message.

Look forward to seeing the final.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com
    Last edited by joe; 03-13-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Perhaps you'll attempt to give your sign a "churchey" look. What you have now looks like an entrance to a Bowling Alley. A third grade attempt. Layering won't add much without the spiritual message.

Look forward to seeing the final.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com
    Thanks Joe that was really helpful.
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC