Thread: quit black box design.

Default quit black box design.

I was debating on buying two whole house vacuums that would give me the same performance as a black box I could build because they are quiet. But t about 2000.00 it is an expensive option. I had 8 hours of cutting some wood so I figured I would see if I can improve my black box design and make it 4 motors.
    So I made every air intake and output baffled. The air output is a big noise source so it has a long run with lots of acoustic foam. Not sure if the foam helps but it was only 12.00 so why not? The motor top fans are really noisy but they don’t move a huge amount of air so they have a u channel baffle. And just to make sure the the air that comes from those fans get a round filter that worked well for the motor direct output on my last setup.
    I used two switches to choose what motors run and a long ranger to turn them on and off. Each motor has check valve so if one motor stops when the brushes wear then I won’t loose as much vacuum like I used too.
    With the lid off it is about 93 db’s with it on it is approx 78 or so. About 82 with all four motors running.
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pics I wonder of a longer baffle on the top lid would do more since thats the biggest course of noise.

one more pic.

the fellow that emailed me your email vanished email me again and there is the file https://www.dropbox.com/s/oz2d750seg...tor.crv3d?dl=0

How much did putting that sound deadening material reduce the sound of the motors?

I would not say a lot but overall maybe 2 decibels. I was too lazy too test with and without. the top reduces the noise from 92 to 78 on its won. I am debating on making another one with textured pdf and a couple more raffles see if it drops more.

well wth a seal between the box and the lid I got another 2db's reduction. now it is on par or lower then the whole house vacuums and about 1/3 the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    the fellow that emailed me your email vanished email me again and there is the file https://www.dropbox.com/s/oz2d750seg...tor.crv3d?dl=0
    Would it be possible to get that file in vcarve format please? I really like the simple design and with it as quiet as you made yours, its tempting.

I can export it into a dxf or pdf. its a easy build and works great. message me and I will give you my email address and info on how to build it.