Thread: Vacuum Opinion

Default Vacuum Opinion

I wanted to ask what you guys think between these 2 options please. I am looking to add a vacuum to my router and cant decide between these 2 routes. I want something for nested cabinet parts 4x8 and 5x5 sheets, 2 man shop not pushing the machine only need around 250-300 ipm with 1/4" compression bits in 3/4" plywood.

1. Blackbox style, either DIY or bought ready made. 10" hg and 400cfm.

https://blackboxvac.com/hurricane.html

2. A 10hp Becker sv400 regen blower. 10" hg and 278 cfm.

https://www.beckerpumpsales.com/pdf/...vacuum_USA.pdf

Both are the same money at around $2600. The big problem for me with the blackbox is the noise I read about with them. And it was stated several times they are a stepping stone to get into the commercial setups. I do have a rotary phase converter so power is not a problem for the regen.

Thanks in advance for the help.

You answered your own question, Becker pump. It's designed for vacuum. It's lower cfm, but with good cutting strategies you won't have a problem with parts moving.

Quote Originally Posted by JMCS View Post
    You answered your own question, Becker pump. It's designed for vacuum. It's lower cfm, but with good cutting strategies you won't have a problem with parts moving.

Thanks JMCS, I was leaning that way. I guess I was getting hung up on the specs and thought the blackbox might work better in some way.

I have cut years with 200 cfms and at most 8" finally built a black box that is super quiet only 76 db's for around 700 total its to about 82 with all 4 motors running. l. but of course the motors won't last more than a year or so and maybe twice that with a brush change. I was going to buy a couple whole house vacs that would give the same spec's for 2000 but I had 8 hours f cutting so I redesigned my setup with a lot of baffles and got it nice and quiet.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ack-box-design

The black box vacuum was originally designed as an economical alternative to a regenerative blower system using off the shelf universal vacuum motors and a do-it-yourself build your own box concept.
    For that it is a fine alternative although the motors do occasionally burn out. The Becker is one version of a professional grade system. At some point it was realized that there were those that were too lazy or uninspired to build their own vacuum box for the universal motor system and so someone stepped in and filled the void by building and marketing them. As long as you have the 3 phase power to run the Becker I would never suggest you choose the black box system unless it were economics and you were building your own box. BTW-The Becker isn't quiet either.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    The black box vacuum was originally designed as an economical alternative to a regenerative blower system using off the shelf universal vacuum motors and a do-it-yourself build your own box concept.
    For that it is a fine alternative although the motors do occasionally burn out. The Becker is one version of a professional grade system. At some point it was realized that there were those that were too lazy or uninspired to build their own vacuum box for the universal motor system and so someone stepped in and filled the void by building and marketing them. As long as you have the 3 phase power to run the Becker I would never suggest you choose the black box system unless it were economics and you were building your own box. BTW-The Becker isn't quiet either.
    I dont mind building my own black box, I figure one could be built for around $800 or less. I was using the pre made one for my comparison since it has the specs listed with it. I was basing the sound on the spec of a black box at around 86db (saw that on a youtube video) and the becker around 75db. Agreed still not quiet, but better. I have read a few of you posts and you cut cabinet parts correct? Do you think the 276cfm is enough for that? I do this as a sideline in the evenings and weekends so I need something that works pretty good, but I dont have to have the best.

Do you think the 276cfm is enough for that? I do this as a sideline in the evenings and weekends so I need something that works pretty good, but I dont have to have the best.
    I've been running the black box for over 6 years now. Almost never turn on motors 3&4. I mean, like NEVER.
    So - after all these years as a professional furniture/cabinet maker, I've not burned out a motor, had a piece slip/shift and now feel I could have saved some cash and simply built a box for 2.
    Yep- once in a while, a really curly piece of ply lands on the table. Not even 4 motors can pull the worst ones 100% flat, but unless there are dados/rabbets on the offending corner, things still work out just fine. Based on your stated use, I'd vote 110% build a black box if you'd rather not burn the Becker bucks. Your choice to build for 4 motors - never know what materials you'll encounter in the future.

Get it done, and you'll be loving life. Vac hold down is the single most important accessory for your table. (next to a motor to spin router bits!)
    Good luck!
    Jeff

Yes-I primarily did cabinet work. My vac was a 7.5HP regen and it worked very well.
    Keep an eye on ebay. Regens turn up at a decent price fairly often.