Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing steps while cutting

You could manually edit the tool path file and add a pause in the stream every hour or so. If you have one of those non-contact infrared thermometers, check the temperature.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Read up on ramping and create a set of ramp values just for 3D work. The abrupt change in direction will cause loss of steps. This can also happen with the Z axis where there are a lot of abrupt up and down movements. Along with a little slower feedrate for a standard, you'll need to soften that direction change. Doing a 45º could cause lost steps on both axes without adjusting the ramping. Write down, take a picture or save to custom, your default ramps before testing.

http://www.shopbotblog.com/2008/03/a...m-performance/
    Scott

Thanks, Scott.

Default May already know this but..

You may already know this or I may have overlooked it but the SB rep when he was out helping us set up the Bot stated that is also best to copy the file to the computer and not to run files from the flash drive. Thought it might be worth mentioning.

I always run files from the flash drive.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    I always run files from the flash drive.
    Yes, and you stated you never the 'eject' either, though I think you said you never write to one which would be fine.
    One can often get by running a stop sign too but it's certainly not recommended.

With 40 years working with computers, I've found it best NOT to tempt the gremlins - ESPECIALLY with older OS systems such as XP. The gremlins are active enough without tempting them.
    One can often get by with breaking commonly accepted practices with life and computers with no bad results BUT that one time where it doesn't work can be devastating, or at least aggravating,

Why risk it to save second or two?

Technically I suspect you could even remove the flash drive completely to run after the program has been loaded. It is loaded into the processor to execute. I seriously doubt the flash drive is accessed again.
    Back in the old days with limited memory - can you say 16K/32K - overlays containing portions of the coding were swapped in and out of memory/storage unit as needed to accommodate the limited memory.