Thread: 3D Scanning

Default 3D Scanning

Here's a project I recently had the pleasure of doing. It's about 63" long, 60" tall and around 18" wide.

This took months for my customer to carve - now it is digitally preserved.

What you're seeing is real geometry that can be used for CNC machining or 3D printing. Obviously you'd need to do it in sections...

Front.jpgBack.jpgOriginal.jpg
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

That must have taken a lot of effort to scan. What equipment did you use to scan it? What software did you use to clean it up?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

WOW as a CMM supervisor and operator color me impressed! I got to ask as cory did, what equipment did you use? Laser me thinks.

Congrats Brady....THAT came out GREAT!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks - Yes, done with laser. It took me about 2 days to get full coverage. The belly was no problem, but the tail as intricate as it is, took some extra effort to capture every flowing lock and flower close to the rear leg. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

The motorcycle lift is a real help for getting underneath. Tomorrow I am off to do some historical/military related scanning. Should be interesting...

In the meantime, here's "Garden Girl", a 62" tall concrete statue that I scanned & 3D printed in 2pcs, 390mm tall. It was printed w/ a 0.4mm nozzle @ .15mm layer height. The actual scan data looks much better than the print!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

What kind of printer do you use Brady? I have a Prusa MK3 and just built 2 ender 3s, very impressed for $190. I built one and a young grandniece [13yo] built the other one along side me and took it home, the second I am giving to my granddaughter. Gotta get these kids making stuff.

Hi Gene - I have many 3D printers, including Ultimakers and genuine (from Europe) Prusa MK2 machines - signed by Josef himself for me personally.

Josef is coming out with a resin printer, hope I live long enough to get that.