Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artcam lives!!!

Default Artcam lives!!!

Autodesk, after killing Artcam, has licensed it out the team of Artcam developers and it is now alive and released under the name Carveco. It has ALL the functionality of AC Pro (or AC Premium if you followed the Autodesk version) and for a limited time (rumored to be 60 days) the cost is only $1600.00 for full version perpetual use and 12 months direct support. (This is an introductory special)
    It is compatible with Artcam files and is the same program as AC Premium 2018.
    Check it out at www.carveco.com.
    I've also been told that people with an Artcam license can get it for $1300.

It's the real deal...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I figured you would be one of the ones right on top of it!
    Last edited by bleeth; 04-01-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    It's the real deal...
    So this begs the question... CarveCo or Aspire?

Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    So this begs the question... CarveCo or Aspire?
    I'll reiterate what I have answered elsewhere:

IBILD Solutions is now offering full support for CarveCo users and continued support for ArtCAM users. This includes custom video training showing how to setup and machine your 3D scanned part, just like we have been offering for the Vectric suite of software and ArtCAM Pro, since the beginning.

I'm not sure that a comparison video would really tell the whole story. As a user of ArtCAM since v5.5 and Aspire since its inception - they're similar in a lot of ways, but different. I would say that Aspire is probably easier to learn if you aren't already familiar with this type of CAD/CAM. I have a lot of jewelers who use my scanning services that still use ArtCAM (because of the Jewelsmith functionality) - so CarveCo is a real life line for those guys. I also have a lot of 'old' CNC guys who cut their teeth on the DelCAM stuff that still use ArtCAM because they didn't see the need to learn a new program.

As a power user of both programs - they each have their place and both are very capable. Both are fairly unique in the CAD/CAM world since they give you the ability to sculpt your 3D model using voxels (3D pixels) - which allows complete free form control over your model. This lets you retain all of the organic character of your model - including a slip of the chisel or fine surface texture, if that's the artist's intention, without the cold, hard-edged plastic shapes typical of most other CAD programs, like F360 or say Rhino.

The 2-sided functionality in the newer versions of VCP and Aspire and rotary axis operations are very good and easy to set up. The advanced toolpathing options in CarveCo can drastically improve the finish quality of certain types of reliefs. They each bring their own set of tools to the party. I know that probably doesn't offer a whole lot of clarity - but I don't think you can sum it all up in a Chevy vs Ford debate. I also don't think that you necessarily have to chose one over the other...you can use both and there is a lot of cross over between the two with similar hotkeys and general workflow.

FYI - It was a full $9,000 back in 2008 for ArtCAM with ArtREAD and a dongle. CarveCo is $1,600 right now. It's essentially the top version of the last iteration of ArtCAM 2018 Premium with ArtREAD and all the Jewelsmith functionality. For me, it's a steal - and I can keep on supporting my ArtCAM customers going forward. If you're a CNC professional (or CNC junkie) - it's definitely worth having a look.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I've never worked with Aspire, and haven't worked with any Delcam products for years.
    I've had my eye on Aspire (as a CNC junkie, no longer a professional) for quite some time.
    The fact that Carveco is currently $400.00 less is a huge motivator, as is the fact that Autodesk is no longer producing it.

Response about CarveCo moved from here

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...341#post204341

Thanks.
    I'm strongly considering buying Carveco.
    Both programs are obviously very full featured and capable.
    I was just curious to know if you had made a conscious decision to use one over the other for any particular reason.
    To expand on my reasons for being so interested.
    Aspire has been on my "gonna buy" since I did my machine makeover at the end of last year. It's price is it's price. The intro pricing on CarveCo is why I suddenly feel a sense of urgency.
    What kind of work exactly are you expecting to do in either software that you are not doing now?

Either one will most likely do everything that you want. There's a very thin sliver of power users out there that would benefit from using one over the other. Compare the interface & feature lists between the two and pick one.

Everyone has their own reasons for buying a certain brand tool. Some are ok with Ryobi while others have to have top of the line. The most expensive thing you can do is buy the cheap one and then realize you hate it and have to get the other one...so you wind up spending twice as much. This is why I never let price be the ultimate decision maker for any tool.

I think it's important to mention, just like a CNC, the software comes with ZERO talent. Buying one over the other doesn't matter. If you don't truly do the work and spend the time to learn the software, without fooling yourself, you'll be stuck in dilbert land cutting pre-made 3D clip art and not much else 3D... (The bar has gotten lower over the years - sorry 3D clipart you flooded in polyurethane ain't "it")

If all you need to do is cut 3D and not actually create or modify 3D reliefs, then VCP has all the bases covered for 1/3 the price of Aspire and half the price of CarveCo...

What do you really need?

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Response about CarveCo moved from here

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...341#post204341

What kind of work exactly are you expecting to do in either software that you are not doing now?

Either one will most likely do everything that you want. There's a very thin sliver of power users out there that would benefit from using one over the other. Compare the interface & feature lists between the two and pick one.

Everyone has their own reasons for buying a certain brand tool. Some are ok with Ryobi while others have to have top of the line. The most expensive thing you can do is buy the cheap one and then realize you hate it and have to get the other one...so you wind up spending twice as much. This is why I never let price be the ultimate decision maker for any tool.

I think it's important to mention, just like a CNC, the software comes with ZERO talent. Buying one over the other doesn't matter. If you don't truly do the work and spend the time to learn the software, without fooling yourself, you'll be stuck in dilbert land cutting pre-made 3D clip art and not much else 3D... (The bar has gotten lower over the years - sorry 3D clipart you flooded in polyurethane ain't "it")

If all you need to do is cut 3D and not actually create or modify 3D reliefs, then VCP has all the bases covered for 1/3 the price of Aspire and half the price of CarveCo...

What do you really need?
    I really don’t need either. I do all my 3d work in 3dsMax and send my .stl file to a friend to do my toolpaths in Aspire or AlphaCam

But I’m very interested in learning how to do reliefs in Aspire or CarveCo. Since I’ll more or less be starting from zero in either, just looking for learned opinions.

I have V-carve (like version 5.xx, I never upgraded) and I used PW back in the day when I started, so I should be somewhat familiar with the toolpathing functions in both.

I also have some relief mapping (from photos) ideas I’d like to play with. Which I could, of course, do with 3dsMax bump mapping, but that’s not a terribly efficient way to do it.

Its just time. I’ve made some significant updates to my whole setup, time to catch up the CAM portion, and like I said Aspire has been on my radar for quite some time.

IIRC if you upgrade from VCP to Aspire, it's something like $1440. You'll have to call SB or check the Vectric Portal to view your options.

What is the difference between Carveco (Artcam Pro) and Aspire? This is what non users have been asking for a long time.
    Bottom line is that there are many differences from toolpathing abilities to vector manipulation and relief editing. Carveco has many tools in it that simply don't exist in Aspire.
    But I won't compare by using a cheap tool or cheap car analogy. A more accurate analogy IMHO lies in two different models of which both are very good. But one is a sedan and has one set of functions while the other is an SUV and has more functions. The average person doing the real work of designing their own models very quickly learns the limitations of a program. If you are not the type of person who is interested in doing the extreme learning curve in how to generate truly cool reliefs from scratch then you would likely never need the robust functionality of Carveco.
    To me, the big difference at this time is that you can buy it for essentially the same price as Aspire. And if you find that you actually are getting into high level 3-d model creation, you can get your annual upgrades coupled with customer support for an annual maintenance. And if not, you have all the tools that are in Aspire plus many more than they likely ever will have.
    They were and are programs aimed at 2 different levels of users.
    I have been told that the introductory price is only going to be around for a few weeks.
    For me personally, I bought Artcam Pro when I first got into CNC and after the split when a few former Delcam employees started Aspire with the purpose of designing a program at a much lower cost that would satisfy the needs of many users I wished them very well in their endeavor but never saw any reason to stop using Artcam and start using Aspire.