Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Artcam lives!!!

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Very good...Hold the spacebar down when in 3D view to move it around...F2 for 2D view, F3 for 3D view. Many of the same shortcut keys as VCP if you used them...
    Pressing down on the mouse roller wheel button does the same, makes it quicker and easier than holding down the space bar.
    Gary
    Beckwith Decor Products
    Caveco Distributor, USA
    Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor

I think there are still a few unanswered issues. For instance, post processors. Does Carveco have choices for other machines and are they included in the program? Another issue is tech support. Are they one of those that have good marketing but "Send us an email and we'll get to you as soon as we can" or are they readily available after hours and on weekends. Their website is pretty bare so we don't have a lot of info and Vectric's tech support would be difficult to match. Does it run on all Windows platforms and versions? The introductory low cost may seem to be a good deal right now but, $1600 is still a lot of money to invest in a risky startup company without a little more info.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I think there are still a few unanswered issues.

Does Carveco have choices for other machines and are they included in the program?

...are they readily available after hours and on weekends.

Does it run on all Windows platforms and versions? The introductory low cost may seem to be a good deal right now but, $1600 is still a lot of money to invest in a risky startup company without a little more info.
    All post processors are included for any machine controller that you are likely to have.

Yes. It's better than that. You can live chat with support and they have staff on the clock for international time zones. You can also use the forum. You can also use email.

Yes - However, don't expect it to run on XP or Vista. If you aren't running at least Win7, you don't need to spend money on this program - you need a new computer.

Can't address the 'risk' thing, as that is personally subjective. All I know is I spent $9k in 2008 for the same program; now it's $1600. I've run a job shop that does it all for 20 years. It's a tool expense for me. I'll get it all back. If you are a hobbiest it most likely is not for you for a number of reasons. One being, if you haven't previously considered ArtCAM, researched it and recognized the value of the program's features, you aren't likely to ever need them. Just get VCP to cut pre-made 3D files. Aspire if you want to do some 3D modelling. Way easier to learn - more than enough power and features than you most likely will ever use. Nobody's ego wants to hear that - but it is the truth.

Right now their website is sparse - but it, and their forum will be adding more info and features as time goes on.

Shopping on price is dumb. If you don't like the cheaper one, you have to go buy the other one, now you've spent double.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

All post processors are included for any machine controller that you are likely to have.

Yes. It's better than that. You can live chat with support and they have staff on the clock for international time zones. You can also use the forum. You can also use email.

Yes - However, don't expect it to run on XP or Vista. If you aren't running at least Win7, you don't need to spend money on this program - you need a new computer.

Can't address the 'risk' thing, as that is personally subjective. All I know is I spent $9k in 2008 for the same program; now it's $1600. I've run a job shop that does it all for 20 years. It's a tool expense for me. I'll get it all back. If you are a hobbiest it most likely is not for you for a number of reasons. One being, if you haven't previously considered ArtCAM, researched it and recognized the value of the program's features, you aren't likely to ever need them. Just get VCP to cut pre-made 3D files. Aspire if you want to do some 3D modelling. Way easier to learn - more than enough power and features than you most likely will ever use. Nobody's ego wants to hear that - but it is the truth.

Right now their website is sparse - but it, and their forum will be adding more info and features as time goes on.

Shopping on price is dumb. If you don't like the cheaper one, you have to go buy the other one, now you've spent double.
    Curiously, they list "Shop Sabre" in their list of supported machines on the site, but not "ShopBot".

I'm fairly certain that this is just an oversite since they've always had an SB post (unless they removed it when AutoCAD took it over?). Plus, can't you use gcode in SB3? I did send them an email pointing this out and asking for clarification on the possibility of selling the license and transferring it to another user.

They haven't replied yet, but I'll update you guys if and when they do.

I'm a hobbiest, I took the chance. I think it will be worth it. I feel like it's nothing but good for Carveco AND Aspire that Carveco succeeds.

On edit: I clicked over to https://carveco.com/carveco-software...machine-tools/ and I see ShopBot now...

ALL of SB's myriad of post processors are in there...Not sure where you are looking.

There is a PostP folder in Program Files.

CarveCoPostP.jpg
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Attached for Rob...just in case
    Attached Files Attached Files

Look at all those postprocessors... Looks like I'll be able to export directly to my plotter as well.

Thanks. I've been so busy at work this week, I haven't even taken the time to install carveco yet.

I'm going to run it on my Mac Book Pro and I wanted to install Parallels first so I don't have to reboot (via bootcamp) every time I switch OS's.

I have used Artcam in the past but it's been a few years. It was a great program but the expense for ownership was just a little above my budget. Actually more than just a little. It would be nice if Carveco had a demo where one could experiment a bit before taking the plunge but alas... Based solely on your advise I bought the program. That probably wasn't a wise decision and I really would liked to have had a little more information but I liked the program so much in the past that I figured "what the hell". It does have a pp for a Camaster but only for the Cobra and nothing for the rotary lathe. I contacted tech support but they only responded with a "canned" message and stated that if I had any problems to contact them again. I kind of expected that answer but, hopefully, they will advise or help me revise the PP at a later date.

Shopping for software based on cost alone is dumb. That is why it is essential to do the research first.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Steve, Check your PM.

Well gang I made the switch over from AutoCad ArtCam 2018 to CarveCo and couldn't be more happy!
    Installed smooth, all 3600+ releif files pulled over, no issues
    Opens quicker then the last ver of AutoCad ArtCam
    But maybe the nicest item is I don't have to fire up my old Dongle ArtCam to open old files anymore, they just magically open up in CarveCo, So freaking great!!!!
    Ok going to draw all night now ;-)