Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Artcam lives!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    IIRC if you upgrade from VCP to Aspire, it's something like $1440. You'll have to call SB or check the Vectric Portal to view your options.
    I'll have to double check, but I believe my version of VCP is too old to qualify for an upgrade price. I think I've looked into this before.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    What is the difference between Carveco (Artcam Pro) and Aspire? This is what non users have been asking for a long time.
    Bottom line is that there are many differences from toolpathing abilities to vector manipulation and relief editing. Carveco has many tools in it that simply don't exist in Aspire.
    But I won't compare by using a cheap tool or cheap car analogy. A more accurate analogy IMHO lies in two different models of which both are very good. But one is a sedan and has one set of functions while the other is an SUV and has more functions. The average person doing the real work of designing their own models very quickly learns the limitations of a program. If you are not the type of person who is interested in doing the extreme learning curve in how to generate truly cool reliefs from scratch then you would likely never need the robust functionality of Carveco.
    To me, the big difference at this time is that you can buy it for essentially the same price as Aspire. And if you find that you actually are getting into high level 3-d model creation, you can get your annual upgrades coupled with customer support for an annual maintenance. And if not, you have all the tools that are in Aspire plus many more than they likely ever will have.
    They were and are programs aimed at 2 different levels of users.
    I have been told that the introductory price is only going to be around for a few weeks.
    For me personally, I bought Artcam Pro when I first got into CNC and after the split when a few former Delcam employees started Aspire with the purpose of designing a program at a much lower cost that would satisfy the needs of many users I wished them very well in their endeavor but never saw any reason to stop using Artcam and start using Aspire.
    I also seem to remember that VCP does a better job at actually v-carving. Better and more efficient. Has that carried forward through the years?
    I guess if that's an issue (for me) I could just try to install my old copy of VCP on my new CAD machine... or keep my old XP box running.
    Last edited by robtown; 04-07-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Better than what? VCP is a more basic program that has nothing in it of any note not included in either of the two programs discussed here.
    However, just as many Aspire users will have no reason to acquire Carveco due to their actual needs, VCP also serves the needs of many very well.
    My intent, rather than getting into a bunch of back and forth regarding other programs, was and is to simply inform our community of what is undoubtedly interesting news to some.
    You may want to start another thread titled something like "Help me choose a program to buy please".

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Better than what? VCP is a more basic program that has nothing in it of any note not included in either of the two programs discussed here.
    However, just as many Aspire users will have no reason to acquire Carveco due to their actual needs, VCP also serves the needs of many very well.
    My intent, rather than getting into a bunch of back and forth regarding other programs, was and is to simply inform our community of what is undoubtedly interesting news to some.
    You may want to start another thread titled something like "Help me choose a program to buy please".
    Some time ago, I managed a job remotely that required star shapes v-carved into the front of a trunk. The folks that were trying it initially had either Alpha Cam or Artcam, I don’t recall, and the renders they kept sending me had flat areas in the bottom of the stars when we wanted a point. Paul Zank, I believe, stepped up and created the toolpaths and did the actual trunk, if I remember correctly, using v-carve. I went on Vectric’s website and made a post extolling the virtues of vcp vs. alphacam (or artcam). Vetric reached out and actually gave me a copy of vcp because of it.

Yeah, I get that Artcam has v-carving as does Aspire. My recollection is that, back then, one of them did it better and more efficiently.

Don’t need “help” with anything. Just looking for learned opinions.
    Sorry if this bothersome.
    Last edited by robtown; 04-07-2019 at 10:47 AM.

There is no right answer. It is like "I can't decide between a Ford and a Chevy." There is unlikely to be a blinding light on the way to Damascus.

If you are using VCP then maybe Aspire is the way to go since you know how Vectric functions and the best software is the one you know.

I have no experience or first hand knowledge of Artcam. The only complaints I have ever heard were "it's too expensive." Software is like a marriage. It is very hard for most people (me) to change software and make the commitment in time and effort needed to learn a new program.

One thing I have wondered about is the cost of owning and upgrading Carveco, Vectric has about a major upgrade a year at a cost 0f about $450. What will be the upgrade costs for Carveco and how often? If you use either program a lot then that may not matter. I upgrade Aspire pretty soon after every new version and never regret it but it may be a consideration. I know that the Carveco is a perpetual license and you can use it without ever upgrading it but that is not the same as not being able to afford to. Among the questions I would have for Carveco are "Can you sell your license and what is the cost for transfer?" How many versions back can you upgrade? I believe that Aspire lets you upgrade any version for the same price. I recently spent $1600 for a new license for my Cad program which I have used for over 20 years because they will only upgrade from two versions back.

The last consideration I have is that Carveco is a brand new company albeit with Artcam alums. If you purchase Carveco as your 3d modeling and toolpathing software you are betting that they will be around. I don't know anything about the company or the people but "new company" perks up the ears. The streets are full of new companies which failed even though they had great products. I'm sure that that is a big reason the that the introductory price is where it is — making the bet more tempting.

I don't know the answers to any of those questions but they would be among the ones that I would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by waynelocke View Post
    There is no right answer. It is like "I can't decide between a Ford and a Chevy." There is unlikely to be a blinding light on the way to Damascus.

If you are using VCP then maybe Aspire is the way to go since you know how Vectric functions and the best software is the one you know.

I have no experience or first hand knowledge of Artcam. The only complaints I have ever heard were "it's too expensive." Software is like a marriage. It is very hard for most people (me) to change software and make the commitment in time and effort needed to learn a new program.

One thing I have wondered about is the cost of owning and upgrading Carveco, Vectric has about a major upgrade a year at a cost 0f about $450. What will be the upgrade costs for Carveco and how often? If you use either program a lot then that may not matter. I upgrade Aspire pretty soon after every new version and never regret it but it may be a consideration. I know that the Carveco is a perpetual license and you can use it without ever upgrading it but that is not the same as not being able to afford to. Among the questions I would have for Carveco are "Can you sell your license and what is the cost for transfer?" How many versions back can you upgrade? I believe that Aspire lets you upgrade any version for the same price. I recently spent $1600 for a new license for my Cad program which I have used for over 20 years because they will only upgrade from two versions back.

The last consideration I have is that Carveco is a brand new company albeit with Artcam alums. If you purchase Carveco as your 3d modeling and toolpathing software you are betting that they will be around. I don't know anything about the company or the people but "new company" perks up the ears. The streets are full of new companies which failed even though they had great products. I'm sure that that is a big reason the that the introductory price is where it is — making the bet more tempting.

I don't know the answers to any of those questions but they would be among the ones that I would ask.
    A learned opinion, based on years of experience... perfect.

I don't need anybody to make my choice for me, nor do I not have any experience myself.

Being that I'm currently getting by just fine with a 10-11 year old copy of VCP running on an old XP machine (that stays off or unplugged from the network when I don't need it to be), upgrade paths and costs aren't a huge consideration for me. What would be a consideration is whether or not I'm just renting the software and will be required to pay out yearly, which doesn't seem to be the case with either option.

I'm a hobby user at best anymore. I do maybe one or two paying gigs a year anymore, and I don't really make much on those as they're usually more along the lines helping or donating to folks or causes I feel are worthy of my help.

But I do have some relief ideas that I'd like to play with, that I could absolutely do with my current options. But currently I have the, money, time, and inclination to go ahead and update my CAD/CAM solutions.

Thank you all for your time. (I'm probably more of a Ford man myself...)

FWIW...
    Pulled the trigger on the (Carveco) purchase this AM.
    Last edited by robtown; 04-10-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Please keep us updated on how you get on with Carveco

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    FWIW...
    Pulled the trigger on the (Carveco) purchase this AM.
    Very good...Hold the spacebar down when in 3D view to move it around...F2 for 2D view, F3 for 3D view. Many of the same shortcut keys as VCP if you used them...
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com