Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBILD 3D Scans USS NJ Bell

Default IBILD 3D Scans USS NJ Bell

I thought I'd post a recent project I did for the Battleship NJ Museum ( https://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/ ) I was commissioned to scan the ship's bell from BB16 from 1906, which you can read more about here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_J ... sey_(BB-16)

Originally someone was unsuccessful using photogrammetry techniques to capture the shape of the bell and the slightly incised lettering (only about .05" deep), so I was called out to 3D scan the bell. After scanning the bell on site, the data was brought into Aspire and remastered using Aspire's vector and 3D modelling tools. Due to compound polar distortion in how the lettering wrapped onto the hourglass shape of the bell, the shape of the letters were surprisingly distorted when in their unwrapped state. However, the unique tools in Aspire allowed me to remaster the overall shape of the bell, as well as deepen the lettering in preparation for 3D printing.

The overall diameter of the bell is about 34.5" in diameter and it is about 30.25" tall. Since this will most likely be 3D printed using a large orifice nozzle (probably 1mm or larger vs 0.4mm for most hobby printers), the fine hand-punched texture present in the original would not be resolved with the large layer thickness typical of a large format 3D printer using a 1mm+ nozzle. Instead, the letters were first removed from the face of the bell using Aspire, then deepened from 0.05" deep to about 0.1" deep. This will allow the finishers to smear a bit of putty into the letters and use a punch to reproduce the original authentic texture.

Anyway, I thought you guys would appreciate seeing this project and how Aspire can be instrumental in creating parts that are a bit outside the box. See attached PDF press release & pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Hey Brady! Amazing work!

Gerald

A miniature would make a 'killer' gift shop item! I have used Aspire for 10 years now and I am still amazed at the cool stuff it allows me to do. Well done on the bell and of course thanks for sharing. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Nice.

So... why did you choose Aspire over Carveco to do this?

Thanks for the compliments so far.

Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    Nice.

So... why did you choose Aspire over Carveco to do this?
    CarveCo wasn't out when I did this job...Even so, I doubt there'd be any advantage using one over the other.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    A miniature would make a 'killer' gift shop item!
    You betcha Russ. This one is 100mm in diameter. 0.1mm layer height.

I may do one in BronzeFill so it can be polished like real metal. Sculpt Nouveau might be another option, although it would need multiple coats that that stuff is thicker than rattle can paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Thanks for the compliments so far.

CarveCo wasn't out when I did this job...Even so, I doubt there'd be any advantage using one over the other.
    Thanks.
    I'm strongly considering buying Carveco.
    Both programs are obviously very full featured and capable.
    I was just curious to know if you had made a conscious decision to use one over the other for any particular reason.

To expand on my reasons for being so interested.
    Aspire has been on my "gonna buy" since I did my machine makeover at the end of last year. It's price is it's price. The intro pricing on CarveCo is why I suddenly feel a sense of urgency.

|
    Continue discussing CarveCo here---> Artcam lives!!!

YOU PEOPLE GOT NO BOUNDARIES

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    |
    Continue discussing CarveCo here---> Artcam lives!!!

YOU PEOPLE GOT NO BOUNDARIES
    Never have...