Thread: Anyone using Rhinocam for 3D work?

Default Anyone using Rhinocam for 3D work?

Hi all, Just purchased Rhinocam for use with our PRS Alpha (Cut-3D just couldn't cut it...) and there is a choice of different post porocessors for Shopbots. To save some time, does anyone have any experience using Rhinocam with their machine and if so, which post processor do you use?

I do not use Rhino at all but I have some architecture people who do and in order to get RhinoCAM to work I had to custom tune the PP for it. I will see if I can figure out how to export a copy for you tomorrow when I get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Purvis View Post
    I do not use Rhino at all but I have some architecture people who do and in order to get RhinoCAM to work I had to custom tune the PP for it. I will see if I can figure out how to export a copy for you tomorrow when I get in.
    Thanks for the reply Robert. I have managed to get it figured out today but appreciate your reply. Having struggled along with the ShopBot supplied Cut3D for a number of years, Rhinocam is far superior for 3D cutting, particularly achieveing the required profile outline. We used it to mill a complex propellor bracket today which we had struggled a little previously with Cut 3D. Once we got the PP sorted out, it was a joy to use.

Glad you got it sorted. There aren't that many running RhinoCAM on a SB. Most use the Vectric products.

Once you get it set up, the Mecsoft stuff is pretty good. I use Rhino, but not RhinoCAM.

Back up your working post processor and don't be afraid to make adjustments for your specific tool if required. It ain't rocket surgery...most CAM software has a post processor guide. You may want to ask around to see if there's one for Mecsoft. I believe they call it, "Post-Processor Generator (PPG) Editor" - It's essentially a front end GUI for creating a post processor...which is actually pretty nice if you're not well versed in this stuff.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com