Thread: Who's making guitars

Default Who's making guitars

As the title says, I'm interested in seeing who out there is using their CNC for building guitars. I've got someone who's interested in learning on my ShopBot to make a guitar and I'd love to see what some experienced people are doing out there!

Sent you a PM
    Life is like a project you continue to work on until it's finished.
    Never start a project you don't intend to finish!

We do quite a few solid body guitars in my High School classes. Somewhere around 50 each school year. Bodies and necks are machined in house on our Shopbot. Here's a couple links to our website and blog if you would like to take a look.

http://www.gphsmanufacturing.org/

http://www.gphsmanufacturing.org/gph...facturing-blog

Here are a couple we did previously to raise funds for the classes.

IMG_7194.jpg
    20180119_122159.jpg
    IMG_7193.jpg
    1.jpg

That's awesome! What's your process for designing them?

Default Guitar design

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchimel View Post
    That's awesome! What's your process for designing them?
    The initial designs were from a grant through guitarbuilding.org, backed by the National Science Foundation. That was about two years ago and we now have altered many of the previous designs to accommodate different parts such as upgraded pickups, bridges (with tremolos) and the like. There are a ton of drawings available free online that can get a person started. The necks are the most difficult since it is a 3-dimensional design.

The initial grant and training only got us so far. We are incredibly lucky to have a local gentleman who comes in on a regular basis to work with the kids and guide us in better builds. John Page is a former VP at Fender Guitars and a founder of the Fender custom shop. He now runs a one man custom shop with some of the most amazing instruments I have ever seen. Genuinely great guy and he loves working with the kids.