Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Spindle

Default New Spindle

Well, after 12 years, my 4hp HSD spindle finally said "Enough"!

Instead of getting another one, to the tune of $1800 for a bare spindle, I decided to give AliExpress a try and try one of the Chinese clones. This is a HQD 3.5kw (4.7hp) air cooled square body one that bolted right up to the Z without modification. It was originally pictured on AliExpress as having the same plug as the HSD, but came with the connection as shown, so I had to cut off the cord and wire it in. No big deal, just not as convenient as it could have been. For $350, I can live with it. So far it's working nicely and the noise from the shaft driven fan is not bad at all. It's running at 12000 rpm in the video. Phone mic doesn't reflect the real sound, but it's 70db at 2 feet from it. Way better than the old one in it's last days!

https://youtu.be/xKSPhmZdbZc
    Scott

good to know. I know it was hard to fork out for a new spindle a couple years ago.

Thanks Scott!
    VERY good to know...keep us informed!
    No problems with the existing VFD?
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Yes, let us know how it goes after several months, a year etc. I'm on my backup spindle now, would cost $1500 to put bearings in the one that's down. Could buy a lot of these for that cost, let alone cost of new one.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Hey Scott,

The only thing is that these spindles don't have the thermistor for overheat protection shutdown via the VFD, so you have to disable that in the VFD parameters or just jumper the SBHQ connections to bypass it. The cooling fan on these put out a lot more cooling air than the 80mm electric fan on the HSD's, so I'm not too concerned. Ran a 3.5 hour 3D yesterday and it was just a good warm temp when finished.
    Scott

Very interested in the longevity of this spindle, Scott. Mine is approaching 10 years and I'm pretty sure it's ready to **** out. This would be a great alternative to a $1500 replacement HSD, plus it would boost my HP from 2.2 to 3.4. More for less? Didn't think that existed anymore....
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I have had a 3.5KW Chinese spindle for over 5 years with no problems. I love it and am thinking of buying another just to have a spare.

Scott, While it's fresh in your mind, would you be able to document wiring and vfd settings on here so we could find it later?
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Thanks Scott,
    Not even sure my little 1hp HSD shaft driven fan spindle HAS overheat protection.
    Good to know though(as well as the plug difference).
    Good luck
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Well, after 12 years, my 4hp HSD spindle finally said "Enough"!

Instead of getting another one, to the tune of $1800 for a bare spindle, I decided to give AliExpress a try and try one of the Chinese clones. This is a HQD 3.5kw (4.7hp) air cooled square body one that bolted right up to the Z without modification. It was originally pictured on AliExpress as having the same plug as the HSD, but came with the connection as shown, so I had to cut off the cord and wire it in. No big deal, just not as convenient as it could have been. For $350, I can live with it. So far it's working nicely and the noise from the shaft driven fan is not bad at all. It's running at 12000 rpm in the video. Phone mic doesn't reflect the real sound, but it's 70db at 2 feet from it. Way better than the old one in it's last days!

https://youtu.be/xKSPhmZdbZc
    Do you happen to have a link to this spindle you could please share? Thank you!!!
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.