Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Spindle

This was the supplier I ordered it from. As you can see in the ad, it has the connector we would like for plugging it right in, but according to what they told me, the newer ones from the factory now have what was shown in my video. If you search for HQD 3.5KW, you'll come up with several suppliers. At the time I ordered it, there was a small discount and they had the least amount of shipping. Others may be better now, or prices may vary depending on when you look. Be sure to check the options and get the desired collet size. I wanted an ER25, so it was compatible with what I've been using for collets. There are some 2.2KW ones, but they have an ER20 collet. The nose cone is the same size as the HSD, so if you have a dust foot that clamps there, it will fit. I've got the newer SB dust foot and it fits up just the same.

There's a simple wiring diagram on the inside of the cover (for 220v or 380v) that I used to match up with the VFD's marked terminals.

As far as parameters, I just jumpered the factory connections to bypass the thermistor so that the VFD saw a closed circuit. I tried changing the parameter that appeared to be for that (053), but I couldn't get it to work. I didn't see a parameter value for 'disable' and setting it to NO didn't work, so jumpering it was the fix. Note, I have the big honkin' VFD in a box, Yaskawa V7-4X.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    This was the supplier I ordered it from. As you can see in the ad, it has the connector we would like for plugging it right in, but according to what they told me, the newer ones from the factory now have what was shown in my video. If you search for HQD 3.5KW, you'll come up with several suppliers. At the time I ordered it, there was a small discount and they had the least amount of shipping. Others may be better now, or prices may vary depending on when you look. Be sure to check the options and get the desired collet size. I wanted an ER25, so it was compatible with what I've been using for collets. There are some 2.2KW ones, but they have an ER20 collet. The nose cone is the same size as the HSD, so if you have a dust foot that clamps there, it will fit. I've got the newer SB dust foot and it fits up just the same.

There's a simple wiring diagram on the inside of the cover (for 220v or 380v) that I used to match up with the VFD's marked terminals.

As far as parameters, I just jumpered the factory connections to bypass the thermistor so that the VFD saw a closed circuit. I tried changing the parameter that appeared to be for that (053), but I couldn't get it to work. I didn't see a parameter value for 'disable' and setting it to NO didn't work, so jumpering it was the fix. Note, I have the big honkin' VFD in a box, Yaskawa V7-4X.
    Just out of curiosity, when you contacted the seller about the plug issue, what did they offer as a resolution? It's ok to have to cut and splice once for a new spindle but to keep having to do it every time you need a new spindle could get a little old. Did they indicate there was an error on their part in regards to the pictures? I'm thinking about ordering one to have when my original spindle craps out.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

They contacted the factory and replied back to me that the new model now has the connection box as shown in my video and that they had an older picture in the add. Who knows!? You could try one of the other suppliers that also show that connector and see what you get. I just cut off about 3' of cord to keep the old connector in case I get the HSD rebuilt sometime and then I'd splice/heatshrink it. I tried taking the HSD connector apart, but it doesn't come apart very easy so I just left it before I destroyed it. I'm sure you could get a new connector as well for a future rebuild. For this one, you just need to crimp on 3 eyelet connectors and tighten them down on the terminals with the supplied nuts under the box cover.

The plate on mine also showed 380 instead of 220, but they stated that it can be hooked up either way and the diagram inside the cover shows that. Must be their way of 'one fits all'.

Messaging with them is, lets say, interesting. They did ship quickly though with DHL. Had it in hand in about a week.

I didn't weigh it before I swapped the mounting plate, but it seemed to be about the same weight, maybe a tad more. So if your springs are tired like mine were, you might want to find some new ones. I found some at the local hardware store that worked perfectly and balanced out the weight better than the originals for my '07 PRS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by srwtlc; 05-07-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    Scott

Scott, out of curiosity, did you price out getting your previous spindle rebuilt?

About a year ago, Mayo Pardo posted that his spindle was going bad, and he found a place in his small home town, (also close to me) that rebuilt his spindle, for what he said was a low cost. The company is called General Servo. www.generalservo.com

Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

If you have an HSD spindle you can't get them rebuilt.. Technically you can, but nobody I found when mine went bad could do cost effectively. From what I understand the Columbo spindles can be more easily rebuilt.

I haven't checked with anyone yet, but Ekstrom Carlson in Rockford Illinois supposedly does.
    Scott