Thread: looking fo a track saw recommentation...

Hybrid View

Default looking fo a track saw recommentation...

I know this isn’t strictly ShopBot related, but I want to ask woodworkers who have many things in common with me for a track saw recommendation…

I’m getting to the age where I don’t enjoy wrestling a large slab across my table saw and am wondering if taking the saw to the slab isn’t the wiser solution!

Many of my slabs are 8/4 thick, this eliminates many brands as they are designed for cutting sheet stock up to ¾” thick. Some brands that will cut 2+” thick are reported in reviews to not have enough power to cut ¾” hardwoods!

I don’t think I want a cordless model… How a manufacture can “brag” that their cordless (battery) version “can cut 18 meters of ½” particle board on one charge”, and sell it is beyond me!

I guess what I’m looking for is a tool and not a toy!

Has anyone out there found a tool that would do what I’m looking for?
    Thanks!

SG

Inquire if anyone in your area builds timber frame homes you can construct your own guide for the saw.

Steve,
    My favorite tool in my shop is the Festool track saw. It's a little pricey but is well made. They make 2 sizes of saws, the bigger has a cut depth of 2.75. You lay the track on the work. The tracks come in various lengths and can be joined to make as long as you like.
    Don't forget $$$$$. Have had mine for many trouble free years.
    Life is like a project you continue to work on until it's finished.
    Never start a project you don't intend to finish!

i also have the festool TS55REQ . fantastic saw - Highly recommend it

I have the Festool TS75, bought it cause I don't have room for a tablesaw, and like you said, it's easier to bring the saw to the slab. I was cutting down 10 reclaimed solid mahogany doors, and they were heavy! Laid them on the shop bot and used the track saw to cut them down (after using the ShopBot to cut out all the panels) It's an awesome saw, and pair it with their dust extractor and it barely leaves any dust. And when I was shopping, it wasn't that much more expensive than some other brands.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Just to add to what others have said, the Festool track saw, mine is the smaller version, is one of the few tools I have bought that has performed as expected from day one. I also have the dust extractor with the extension arm and it works well also. Festool products are a little pricey, but I feel I got what I paid for and use them regularly...joe