Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking fo a track saw recommentation...

Well… I’ve made a decision!

Thank you everyone for your input!

I tried to convince myself that https://www.truetracsaw.com/ would work with my existing circle saw… until I measured the runout of saws arbor… the past few decades haven’t been kind to it! Plus, the shoe no longer resembled flat after a few trips off roofs. A new saw would be required…

Other desirable things I would loose using a framing circle saw:
    1. dust collection
    2. No guarantee that a new framing circle saw will have better runout than my worn out one…
    3. Lack of a fully enclosed blade.
    4. A circle saw doesn’t have a riving knife
    5. A nice case for all the components
    6. Loss of easy, reliable depth control.

Another consideration is that my preteen and early teen grandsons are very interested in what I do… the safer I can make my shop, the better!

In the end I decided that the High cost of the Festool TS-75 was actually reasonable for the well thought out design and engineering.

SG

Steve,
    Let us know how you like it!!
    Life is like a project you continue to work on until it's finished.
    Never start a project you don't intend to finish!

TS75 is a beast of a saw! im sure you will be happy with it and if you got a festool dust extractor also i yhink you will be extremely pleased. One other saw i forgot about sinve i dont own it but gets lots of attention is the Mafell saw (Mafell is said to be the step up from Festool and costs even more money and yep its german). So if you havent bought yet, heres another to look at: https://www.timberwolftools.com/mafe...unge-track-saw

My new Festool TS-75 Track Saw came yesterday… I finally got to try it out today!

I trimmed some live edge Pecan slabs. My commission is for a 36” X 78” “farmhouse” table with live edges, I needed to trim the edges of the interior boards and be left with a glue line edge. The slabs averaged 15” wide by 9’ long… The trimming resulted in a tabletop undulating between 36” and 38” wide.

The TS-75 was certainly up to the task… I had one major blunder, but it ended up fine. As I was cutting my second board, unbeknown to me, the power cord got tangled up and pulled the saw out of the track. This resulted in a horrific kickback and destroying the last 2’ of the track.

I’m now a wiser operator with a better appreciation of the saw’s power!

SG

Whats with the forurm... I can only load photos sideways! If I rotate them, it still loads them wrong!

>> Whats with the forurm... I can only load photos sideways! If I rotate them, it still loads them wrong!

I think the issue has to do with the aspect ratio of your photos. The wider side will be the horizontal.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Default Question

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    My new Festool TS-75 Track Saw came yesterday… I finally got to try it out today!

I trimmed some live edge Pecan slabs. My commission is for a 36” X 78” “farmhouse” table with live edges, I needed to trim the edges of the interior boards and be left with a glue line edge. The slabs averaged 15” wide by 9’ long… The trimming resulted in a tabletop undulating between 36” and 38” wide.

The TS-75 was certainly up to the task… I had one major blunder, but it ended up fine. As I was cutting my second board, unbeknown to me, the power cord got tangled up and pulled the saw out of the track. This resulted in a horrific kickback and destroying the last 2’ of the track.

I’m now a wiser operator with a better appreciation of the saw’s power!

SG

Whats with the forurm... I can only load photos sideways! If I rotate them, it still loads them wrong!

Did it cut good enough to glue up without joining edges ??

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post

Yeah, it's got some serious power. I had a kickback when I was learning to use it, luckily didn't damage the track so badly that it interferes with use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Carney View Post
    I've made 3 tables using just the TS-75 to cut the boards and glued up without using my jointer. That's one of the selling points of the Festool Tracksaw is to be able to do that.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Yes… and no.

Originally this table was supposed to be made from 3” random width and length strips of wood. The 5/4 slabs I chose would have worked well for this approach. When my customer saw the beauty of the grain in these slabs, she decided to leave them as large planks. This is a problem due to the cupping of the slabs. If I surface them flat as is, I’ll run out of wood in the center! I plan to split each slab down the center, surface them and re-glue them together. This will require jointing the edges as they will have slightly changed relative angles…

However, the cuts made by the Festool TS-75 track saw were good enough to glue without jointing. In fact, my current plan is to use the saw as the jointer after surfacing my split slabs.
    I’ll let you know how it all works out!

My new “normal” is partly due to my business partner retiring… I’m an ageing one-man shop who is having issues handling heavy material. It appears that the track saw will help me keep active for many more years!

SG

Apparently, my inability to load “rotated” images is an iPhone thing… after I load my images into photoshop and then save, I can get them to behave as expected!

SG

Attached Images Attached Images

That is some beautiful grain! What, no pic of the track carnage? Glad you weren't hurt!
    Scott