Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FABMO Status

Default FABMO Status

Does anyone have an update of the status of the long awaited FABMO controller?

This was previously discussed at length with many claims made of completion timeframes in the thread:

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...r-Modification

I still need to solve my USB comm errors and would like to know if FABMO is being beta tested, is in production or what?

Anyone know anything?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

You may want to take a look at this link from Gary Campbell

https://www.centroidcnc.com/shopbot_gcnc.html

No real info/updates for you Jim, but I stopped beta/release candidate testing it more than 6 months ago and by checking the Github site for it every so often, I've seen little to no progress/activity.

I've since moved on and comm errors are a distant memory.
    Scott

You can check out FabMo here.
    Scott

JimmyD: With all due respect if you are serious about resolving the comm errors you may want to look at other control solutions for your ShopBot. I was in the same situation, and waited (for years) for the promised solution that was in the pipeline. It didn't come in time for me. To me, it appears that SB has chosen to focus more on small hobbyist machines and less on stable production workhorse CNC routers. Too bad - but the loss is theirs, not yours. You are a machine owner, you have options. Centroid CNC software and control hardware is on a roll - it's production ready and gaining more "router specific" features (it was originally more mill oriented). The photos on Centroid's website linked above are my PRS Alpha 96-60 that Gary Campbell did a full conversion on - Centroid Acorn based control system and Clearpath SDSK servos. It's a different machine entirely. I can heartily recommend Gary for his expertise and knowledge. And - Gary will tell you the truth. Even if you don't want to hear it. Even when you struggle to believe it.

And - to all my friends at ShopBot....WHY? Why the hangup on embracing a more robust control solution? Why not use any of the existing superb CNC controllers on the market - and focus on tool mechanics? Why not Centroid? WinCNC? UCCNC? The Centroid Acorn control is, it seems, a near perfect match for ShopBot hardware...There is no shame in using someone else's product and making it your own! Why not be an OEM building with Centroid components! You already do this - in using Oriental Motor, BWC, etc. You could even offer upgrade kits for existing machines...Surely your lab has hooked up an Acorn in the lab just to see how a ShopBot runs on it? Hey - for $300 who wouldn't? Start shipping tools with software and computer preloaded and preconfigured! Now - Imagine CNC12 Software loading - with a ShopBot splash screen? Get the picture?

Anyway - no anger, not even disappointment anymore, for me, because I have found my path forward. I'm watching - with fascination - to see how ShopBot comes up with a real solution to the comm errors. For me that's where this started. I just couldn't rely on the machine to run without hiccups. And for me, that issue has been resolved.

My best to all of you out there - ShopBot CNC included!

Gerald Martin

Gerald
    My first shopbot was in the 1990's and I am now on my fourth. I decided last Fall to upgrade the electronics. I am just ready to make chips and it appears that this is going to be a great upgrade for the machine. It is faster, more accurate and most importantly WORKS each and every time.
    The whole Shopbot thing is a good concept. A machine that you might actually afford that can do a lot of what the big brother industrial machines can do. But technology marches on! Controllers and motors and all the other gear is cheaper and more available than ever.

Attached Images Attached Images

I upgraded my PRT to the Centroid Acorn with pendant and couldn't be happier. A totally different machine

Hello Shopbot? 3 full business days later - does anyone from SB have an update for the original poster - and others who care about the continued success of ShopBot - on the status of FABMO?

I'm certainly not trying to flame ShopBot. I bought 2 full size tools new from them - one a PRT, the current one a PRS Alpha. I have a local friend and ShopBot Alpha owner in need of a control upgrade as well. Maybe ShopBot has an upgrade path in development that they have not revealed yet to resolve the USB comm errors, etc.

And, maybe no one over there monitors the forum regularly. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

My best to all,

Gerald Martin

I looked at various YouTube posts on the Acorn control system, as well as the Centroid website........ So much information, it was actually overwhelming.

I noted that in the featured Shopbot upgrades, that everything in the control box was new, including the motors, the motor drivers and even the box. I didn't see any explanation of why the motors were scrapped.

But having an upgrade mapped out where you could keep the motors and as much other basic hardware as possible sure would be great. And being able to buy a retrofit kit from Shopbot would be great as far as I am concerned. Based on what I have seen, I would buy an Acorn upgrade kit from Shopbot tomorrow if they told me a tested system is available.
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5