Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny eagles

Default Tiny eagles

I just got back from the Skiils USA event where among other things we engraved the ShopBot logo and tiny eagles into almost 300 carpenters pencils using a ShopBot MAX.

The logos were carved with w 90 deg vbit, and then the blanks were flipped and the eagles carved with a 1/32" tapered ballnose bit from Amana.

The eagle model is one of the ones that's included with the Vectric software, and the carving is around 0.4" high by 0.6" long by 0.05" deep. My cellphone photo doesn't show the detail very well...they really turned out well.

eagle pencil.jpg

Nice! Did you hold down w/ double sided tape?
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Did someone say "Tiny"?

I think you beat me by .4" all around for a tiny 3D Bill!

NICE!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

There's almost no up-force when cutting shallow stuff like that so I machined a holding jig that was a friction fit. Pressed them in, did the v-carving on a bunch of them, and then flipped to do the eagle carving. For the first handful I tried doing the logo with the same tapered ballnose as the eagle but it left the top edge too fuzzy on these cheap pencils.

Scott...you were my inspiration for trying this!

pencil jig.jpg

Just curious what the jig was made of...Extira?
    Neat little production line! You ought to see if there's a"Pencil Society of America", Like the "Button Society of America" where I sold my Bloodwood "Loons" for $40 a pop!

Was it Precise Bit's 1/32" TBN?

Thanks! But at least the softest wood I used was Cherry for fun, and Bloodwood for selling.....who knows what wood was in those

Bet people were standing in line at times to get one!
    Congrats!!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Nope not extera...just plain old mdf!

The bit was from Amana. It's one of the ones ShopBot sells and has a 1/4" shank and 1/32" diameter ballnose.

Looking at your first photo, I think things would have looked much nicer had you moved the eagle over to the left about 1/2"........ you would have removed "CHINA". Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

I tried to remember to flip them so that the China was on the end that got sharpened away, but it got so hectic at times that I was just sticking them in at random!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Keysor View Post
    Looking at your first photo, I think things would have looked much nicer had you moved the eagle over to the left about 1/2"........ you would have removed "CHINA". Chuck

1/32 ball nose, I gotta get one of dem! My smallest is 1/16th and I use it almost everyday!

Great sample piece for a show! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Thanks Bill
    You were cutting darn close to the bevel, and thought you might have been using something more stable than the darn Big Box Store I made my modified B.Y. modified "Wedging Top" I'm still using 5 yrs later. I notice about .01" movement of my Y fence when a day goes from 50F/50%RH to 85F/65%.........wish I had bought a better grade, or waited till I had HDO for the substrate.

I bought a few sets of Chinese TBN's in both .125" and .25" shanks with .25mm-1mmRadius last Fall after Randall and a few others on Vectric Forum recommended them. The 1.5" long .125" shanks are still going strong, but the 3"long .25" shanks got a Lot of use this Winter in Very Dense exotics, and might be able to notice a slight dulling on the .25mmR now after about 100 hours of use.

Have to compare the Amana and the Precise bits 1/32" now

Did you make a Finger Groove at the opposite end to facilitate removal, or did you use the T-Bones and an implement for removal?
    I can just see you swapping and flipping like crazy to get the run going again

Hard to beat either Desktop for accuracy and repeatability!!

scott
    scott P.
    Maine