Thread: Two display stands coming:(

Default Two display stands coming:(

HAD an Plan of my work flow for the next week.....WRONG!!

My Brother's 2 children visited for the first time in 5 years(15 yr old girl, and 10 yr old boy now), and Uncle Scott made the HUGE mistake of letting them pick one wood Piece each ops:
    BOTH are 3D's, and I like to dedicate gifts,add the wood species,sign,date,etc.
    Coulda done it with my normal pen, but NOooo.....Scott wants a stand so I don't ruin the grain on one, and make the other to hang on the boy's wall.

NOT surprised the 15yr old Girl chose the Big Leaf Maple 5A quilted Heart Stand I made for Dad that I MUCKED up the depth of the stand so the Heart didn't fit, so it was a Reject that was just pretty.

THEN I told her I thought I'd carve a hole in the center for a Tourmaline crystal....BUT her eye kept straying to a fantasy cut Aquamarine resting in a Birch Burl display stand nearby a friend had cut.
    She got the Aqua

Think this piece of Black Walnut will be nice if I radius the edge, carve a .05" deep circular pocket for the Maple, and then carve dedication info in the Pocket.
    Maybe some Fluted pockets, or ring dowels if enough room after rounding over.

Surprised at Nikola's (yes, named after Tesla)choice of the "Ural Squirrel" I did in Cherry.
    Got a couple choices there....but probably a Sugar Maple back with a teardrop cutout for hanging on the wall, maybe find the Boundary vector from that Squirrel, and do VERY shallow pocket.
    Thinking about brass escutcheon pins with the heads snipped off going through the to cut throughs in Squirrel.

Jury is still out on Niko's....better cut before T-Storms shut me down.

I make MORE work for myself, than anyone else could possibly do
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

those look great, always impressed with what you share!
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Thanks Dan!

Figured the Girl would get the Bling, and as the Boy is 10yrs old, I decided maybe instead of just a shaped flat board for a hanging stand for his Squirrel, MAYBE a piece of his Aunt's Black Walnut branch would stimulate interest in Wood, and have a little more organic and meaningful Stand.

PITA to Mickey Mouse jig the back at the right position for carving the front, BUT got it to an interesting shape before Thunder made me pull the plug literally.
    Desktop and computer run off a UPS, so I just shut spindle down, and waited for storm to pass....45 minutes later, storm was peaking, so just shut everything down as that's the longest I've ever done it, and everything is "Dirt Bagged" so I can't see power remaining.

Got one piece of "Scrap" where the Heartwood partially separated from the Sapwood, and I had cut it off as real scrap, BUT it's similar Diameter/length and Heartwood to the jigged piece to be a test cut this morning
    MUCH more instructive to see a piece of Black Walnut from Bark to Heartwood, and see what small branches do to grain, and how knots happen?

Time to warm Spindle up while I deconstruct my jungle gym Jig
    Hmm...Fluting toolpath or the flat bottom Oval Dish in the Clip Art Models?

Fun Playing!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Wound up using none of those pieces for the Ural Squirrel Stand.

Had a piece of the same tree, but it was wormy and split, so I had surfaced 2 small pieces after baking in the oven at 200F for over an hour(just in case).
    I was just moving all those pieces I surfaced last week, and one side NOT facing me was all Sapwood which looked better against the Dark Squirrel.....
    BESIDES...the wood grossed out his Grandmother and Sister...and what 10 yr old boy won't like THAT

Back side info done with an Onsrud 30* Engraving bit with a .005" flat.

Not Quite happy with the scrollsawed top radius...going to need some more freehanding on the stationary belt sander to be more organic looking.
    Placement of Squirrel will depend on if I have a stone that looks good in the worm hole, or move him up to cover it, and then trim base on tablesaw for balance.

Hers is coming, but I entered a new bit, and transposed the last two digits, and the pocket was too BIG
    Had to make it a pedestal in an oval dish.....ALMOST looks as good as what I was thinking
    AND I'm not telling her I didn't PLAN it that way
    scott P.
    Maine

I expanded that pocket that was too large,made another pocket .04" deeper at nominal Diameter, and then crept up on it(twice) to get the fit I wanted.
    I had decided to fix the "Oopsie" by making it a Pocket on a Pedestal, using the ClipArt Dish and making it Oval.

using the 3" long .25"shank .5mmRadius TBN, I did 2 Finish Toolpaths....
    I Z-Zeroed as normal, the MN'd (Move/Nudge from command line) and of course it was full depth as it's a Finish Toolpath....
    THEN MN'd down .01" to the original depth, put a pretty thick layer of my Earthpaint Polymerized Linseed/Beeswax(80/20 heated in a Ball Jar in a double boiler) "Butter" (I usually call Linwax), and then cut again. Spread the slurry of mixed tiny chips/dust in to fill the pores, and wiped off Against the grain.

Let dry overnight with fan blowing on it, a coat of my Pine Resin/Linseed/Citrus thinner 10/40/50 at Noon yesterday, and now cutting .25" Vladimir Script description of the AAAAA Oregon Big Leaf Maple, and the Gilgit Aquamarine she picked into the pocket the Quilted rest in.

Spindle just shut down, time to flip to the back, Pocket for leather pads, mention the Black Walnut and sign.
    Then both pieces get their second coat of the Rosen mix.

Ya can hardly tell this is NOT how design was SUPPOSED to go!
    scott P.
    Maine

Vladimir Script came out well
    scott P.
    Maine

FINALLY got the sheen and feel right on hers

All that's left is to Goop the pockets on the back for the leather feet and set on granite countertop overnight to level...and then one beeswax mix
    His still needs a touch of bark work, and one more pine rosen mix coat.
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine