Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 60 degree vbit issues

Don't know if you are replying to me, Eric, but it sure sounds as if we are both saying the same thing.

I think we're saying the same thing now... I thought you might have been saying that any v carving toolpath can use any v bit.

I wasn't entirely sure so I figured I'd add a little bit if clarity.

Of course any vcarve toolpath can use any v bit. Though you may have to limit depth if the diameter of the v bit is smaller than the widest part of the vectors. The only difference in using different v bits is that the ones with the smallest angle will cut the deepest, and, of course, more pertinent is the need to fit the v bit to the design. In one inch letters I will almost automatically turn to a 60deg or perhaps even a 45deg v bit and in five inch or larger a 120deg bit. Choices are made both for depth of cut and also the way the light will hit the vcarving. At this point I don't know if I am clarifying or obfuscating.

Hmm, there seems to have been a fair amount of conjecture as to the original poster's (DC CNC) problem. However, he never did come back with good pictures or clarifications that would help those who are trying to help him. Maybe someone offered him perfect advice???????? I hope so, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Fine detail cutting is best at 0.045 - 0.075 (if you want to preserve the inside of small graphics).
    Fonts are graphics and those E's and O's will be problematic at small sizes.
    We cut with a 90 degree V cutter around here. (Too lazy to change bits for small details).
    Soft wood can be weakened when you cut around it and then expect it to hold in place and not fall away.

0.045 - 0.075 max cut depth helps a lot!!!!!
    Our most important shop tool is the pencil sharpener!